CMPK injectable...can I use it again?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I only got one bottle of CMPK injectable when I got supplies from the vet. I read on the bottle where it says to use it all up when you open it. It's actually still out in the barn, in my medicine tote, and it has been very cold down to freezing for quite a few days. My question is, do I need to get another bottle for this weekend when I have another doe due, or can I use the rest of this bottle if I need to use CMPK? I also got a bottle of calcium gluconate that I have not opened.
    Thanks,
    Anita

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Thats because they use it IV. If you use a clean needle to draw with and don't aspirate product back into a syringe you have already use, cover the hole in the top of the plastic stopper (I just drip/melted wax into the holes) there is no reason to not. But if you have it out in the barn, it's nasty and you just keeping giving shots than no I would toss it using it only on the one doe. Plus when you do open one, it's really for one doe, because you will use it and another bottle at least to get her through the crisis. And if you have to use it on more than one doe...you have a chornic problem on your place and you need to look over your basic management and fix the problem. For myself CMPK is a thing of the past, that is in my fridge anyway...rarely used but in other herds or in the spare older doe, or milk fever induced by need to have the biggest goats at the show :) vicki

3. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Well, I was hoping I won't need to use it again. It's in a plastic tote with a tight lid. The doe I used it on is the only one, out of the four births I have attended, that I needed to use it on. This doe is 8 years old, so maybe that's part of the problem.
    Thanks
    Anita