Clumpy Berries

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Sep 4, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Since I have had this doe, almost 5 weeks her poop has not been normal. I wormed her properly did a fecal, high cocci, did the 5 day corroid treatment, even tried the slippery elm. Maybe it takes awhile for the corrid to kick in?

2. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Did you fecal after the cocci treatment to be sure it worked?

3. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I did not, the treatment just ended 3 days ago. I was just wondering if it takes a while. I could take a sample in today - although he does not use a chambered slide and does not give me counts, it is a yay or nay thing with this vet.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

get another fecal done, regardless and also what are you feeding anything changed there?? Out on new grass or wet grass? Normally with my goats I don't worry abt clumpy berries as they will come and go depending on how much or what they ate etc. But with this girl you have to stay on top of her with fecal checks plus what she eats. Personally I would get another fecal done, use probios, B Complex and the slippery elm and make sure of amounts of grain

5. stoneyheightsfarm

I would ask your vet if you can take a peek at the slide yourself, too. Even though you won't be able to get a count, you can kind of get an idea by seeing the dispersion of parasites. If you look and you have to search to find a few, then the level is probably pretty low. If you look and they're plentious, you know your level is higher than you want and that your treatment was not as effective as you'd like.

6. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

B-Complex sub-q, cuz' I am currently giving her 4cc of red cell everyday which has b vitamins in it. No, nothing has really changed with her. She really has never had "normal" poop since we got her. I will take another fecal in today. I have added BOSS, small amounts. Have gradually changed her food, still weaning that from an 18% to a 16%. I'm still not satisfied with the grain itself as it is not specific as to its contents.

Bartlett Custom Split Creek Goat Pellets
    For Lactating Goats

protein 16%
    fat 3%
    Fiber 22%
    Calcium 1.2%
    Phosphorus .5%
    Salt 1%
    Selenium .6 ppm
    Vit A 6,800 iu/lb.

Grain products, processed gran by-products, forage products, roughage products, plant protein producs, calcium carbonate, salt, calcium phosphate, potassium choride, magnesium sulfate, sodium bicarbonate, vitamin a supplement, vitamin b3 supplement, vitamin 3 supplement, magnesium oxide, manganous oxide, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, cobalt, carbonate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, sodium selenite, zine methionine complex, maganese methionine complex, copper lysine compplex, cobalt glucoheptonate, saccharomyces cerevisiae, dried lactobacillus acidophilus, plantarum fermentation products.

7. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

I would not feed my goats anything that did not state what was in it. This feed just tells you that they are going to use what ever they can get and it probably will never be the same from one time to the next.
    Clay

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Why not go with just plain whole oats a tad of BOSS and call it done?? remember all that red cell has molasses and that is probably why now she still has clumps.

9. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Not a pelletized goat feed? Really, all you need to feed your goats is oats? Geez I'm thinking that I need to feed them a commercial product with all kinds of good stuff in it so they will get a well balanced diet.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't feed a pelleted feed because I want to know exactly what my goats are getting I don't want my protien coming from ground up chicken feathers. Think I am kidding?? well think again

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Geez I'm thinking that I need to feed them a commercial product with all kinds of good stuff in it so they will get a well balanced diet.

Are you now feed a well balanced diet? hint: the answer is you have no idea :) Each time your feed is milled they are only guranteeing you that it is
    protein 16%
    fat 3%
    Fiber 22%

That's it, nothing else. And how they get to those ingredients they use to get to those numbers changes each and every milling, so every bag you really have changed your goats feed.

You do have to make sure you are using an excellent loose mineral when you move to feeding raw grains that don't contain a mineral mix also. Vicki

12. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Give me a name! Do I top dress it...I'm sure buying the oats would be a lot cheaper than buying a 50 lb. bag of stuff you don't know what is in it right?

13. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I just got back from the vet and everyone is negative for fecals....no worms or cocci...still clumpy berries though. I'm not gonna worry about it I guess.

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

NO doubt very much that buying oats is cheaper that what your buying now but at least you know what your getting.

15. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

How about minerals?

16. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Linda, two brands that are recommended are the Blue Bonnet Techmaster Mineral and the Cargill Right Now Onyx (I use this because I am able to get it, I can't get the techmaster which I would prefer).

17. stoneyheightsfarm

Any opinions on the Sweetlix Magnum Milk?

18. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I feed this mineral. My goats do excellent on it.

Sara

19. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Do you just leave it out for them to decide how much they need or do you top dress it or both?

20. stoneyheightsfarm

I have the Sweetlix MM out free choice, and baking soda in a separate mineral feeder (also free choice). They take it whenever they feel the need.

My feed does have minerals in it too. It's a mix of oats, corn, soybeans, dicalcium phosphate, alfalfa meal, calcium carbonate, molasses (I know, Vicki will cringe! I think it's to keep the minerals from settling...), yeast culture, ammonium cloride, salt, Vitamins A,D, & E, Sodium Salenite, Copper Sulfate (again, wish I had a different copper mineral), cobalt carbonate, Ethylene-diamine slhydroiodide, and zinc sulfate... Hmmm... don't like those difficult to pronounce things in my human food... I'll do something different when I have milkers... This is the medicated feed I'm using w/decoquinate... Then, of course, there's the alfalfa hay.