clogged tear duct med advice

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by janner, Jun 4, 2014.

1. janner

janner New Member

I have a 6 week old buckling, 30 lbs that has always had weepy eyes. Turns out it must have been from clogged tear ducts and one got infected and swelled up like a golf ball under his eye. I made an herbal poultice and got it to come to a head and drain. I then started him on Dura-Pen which is penicillin G benzathine with procaine. The dosage is for cattle and is 2 ml per 150#. The vet said to give my little guy 1 cc a day. This will be the third day and he is a little better, but it is still REALLY swollen. I am wondering if this is the correct dosage. The vet said goat dosage is double the cattle dosage and 1 cc is a bit more than that...I am also giving him probios once a day 12 hours after the penicillin injections. If you can share any experiences similar to this one and give me your opinions on the dosage, I would so much appreciate it.
    janice

2. janner

janner New Member

I am also wondering how long it's OK to continue to give penicillin if he is not better. If it is much better, but not completely cleared up should I stop at 5 days? I am on day 4 and he is 50% less swelling and no pus.
    thanks,
    janice

3. jdavenport

jdavenport Member

Do whatever the vet said, as far as dosage and length of time. But you might want to consider using your warm poultice every day for a few more days. The heat from the poultice and massaging the swelling should help keep things draining and clear.

4. janner

janner New Member

So, after trying to find info on the internet about clogged tear ducts in goats,as my vet said, I found that goats have NO tear ducts:rolleyes: I have started another post about the teary eyes and hope to get comments as many people seem to have teary eyes in their kids, but not a lot of info out there on the causes or cures. I ended up giving 1 3/4cc of pen g for 8 days to get most of the swelling to subside, but eyes are still watery.
    janice

5. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

I've not had any experience with this, but i was wondering if it could be entropion, where the lashes are rubbing and irritating the eyeball?