Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 week old buckling, 30 lbs that has always had weepy eyes. Turns out it must have been from clogged tear ducts and one got infected and swelled up like a golf ball under his eye. I made an herbal poultice and got it to come to a head and drain. I then started him on Dura-Pen which is penicillin G benzathine with procaine. The dosage is for cattle and is 2 ml per 150#. The vet said to give my little guy 1 cc a day. This will be the third day and he is a little better, but it is still REALLY swollen. I am wondering if this is the correct dosage. The vet said goat dosage is double the cattle dosage and 1 cc is a bit more than that...I am also giving him probios once a day 12 hours after the penicillin injections. If you can share any experiences similar to this one and give me your opinions on the dosage, I would so much appreciate it.
janice

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am also wondering how long it's OK to continue to give penicillin if he is not better. If it is much better, but not completely cleared up should I stop at 5 days? I am on day 4 and he is 50% less swelling and no pus.
thanks,
janice

·
Registered
323 Posts
Do whatever the vet said, as far as dosage and length of time. But you might want to consider using your warm poultice every day for a few more days. The heat from the poultice and massaging the swelling should help keep things draining and clear.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, after trying to find info on the internet about clogged tear ducts in goats,as my vet said, I found that goats have NO tear ducts:rolleyes: I have started another post about the teary eyes and hope to get comments as many people seem to have teary eyes in their kids, but not a lot of info out there on the causes or cures. I ended up giving 1 3/4cc of pen g for 8 days to get most of the swelling to subside, but eyes are still watery.
janice

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I've not had any experience with this, but i was wondering if it could be entropion, where the lashes are rubbing and irritating the eyeball?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts