Clippers

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravenwood, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Ravenwood

Ravenwood New Member

Howdy,
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I had a question. I am *new* to showing this year and investing in my first set of clippers. After reading the above it sounds like the Andis 2-Speed ones (maroon) are fairly well recommended. Is the model you all recommend roughly $150? I want to be sure I'm getting the right one.

Also, what additional clipper blades do I need to purchase? Oster blades will work with the Andis? What size blade do you use on which body parts?
    Thanks x 1.241 million :)

2. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

You are looking for the Andis AGC Super 2-speed. It is maroon in color. If you will check on Ebay, you probably can find a brand new pair cheaper than any of the catalogs have them. Got one of mine for $100.
    On the blades, for general body clipping you want a #10, for udders #40, for even closer #50.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

If you have very many goats to clip....you might want to consider going to a larger set of clippers.
    http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=2&mscssid=A5Q7NREHCN0G9N84U5NU8A7KU65C8ST0
    or the lister brands.

Reason for this...you get smoother cuts (3" wide cuts) with less ridges and takes a whole lot less time. I use a 28yr. old set of Oster/Clipmasters-#10 blade- to do my body clipping, then go to the smaller A-5 for my faces and lower legs -#10 blade, then a #50 blade for ears and udders. I am not as fast as I used to be, but it takes me about 30 min per goat to get a show clip. I can't imagine using the A-5's for full body clips...would take me 2 days to do the 10-14 head in the show string.

If and when the Osters give it up...I will be purchasing the Lister brand. They're quieter and lighter than the Clipmasters.
    Kaye

4. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Kaye
    I have some ancient clipmasters from my horse days 30 something years ago :)....never thought to use them on the goats.....I always use the Andis. Where do you find a number 10 blade for them? May try that out this year

5. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

You can get the A5 #10 blade in a wide width and you can go as fast as with the Clipmasters.

6. coso

coso Guest

Not mine you can't. I did full body clips with Oster A5 for two years with the wide blades, wouldn't do it again. Got a used pair of Clipmasters. They may be the same width but the rpms in which it cuts is a lot different. It's like driving a Camry then climbing into a Vette.

7. Meshale

Meshale New Member

I have a set of Whal KM2 and i love them..and they can use Oster blades too!

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Oster also makes a wide blade to fit your Andis and these blades are fine to start with. But use just once a livestock big clipper and you will start using your Andis for udders :) And the big ole Clipmasters are great, but use a pair of Listers just once, and you will be selling your Clipmasters :) The regular livestock blades are great, but use a cover coat on your Lister Stablemate just once......well you get the idea :) Like milking with a surge setup, then use an interpulse just once.....really it's like using a toy instead of livestock equipment :) Vicki

10. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I have the Oster A5 clippers. I also have used my friend's clipmaster and like it. If you folks get as cold in Canada in summer as we do in Montana, you may want to do the body clip with a 5 or 7 blade and the legs and face with the 10.

12. Well...I am a DIE HARD oster guy here. I have about 10 set of everything you could ever think of. But, I will say this. For go the oster blades. They are getting a higher price for the name. I get all my blades from Premier 1 Supply in Iowa. They are cheaper and stay sharp alot longer. They are made out of harder steel.

I just got done testing the Premier4000s. LOVE THEM. But, would I run out and buy a new set with all the osters I have....really doubt it. But, if you are looking for a new set. Those are the ones that I would get in a heart beat. They are the same a Listers, but a different name. You can get all the blades that you want for them. To me they are lighter in weight than the Lister and also if you have any problem with them. Fixed free of charge.

Just my thought
    ken

13. NubianSoaps.com

Also Premier will take in your old blades and give you a huge discount on new ones to replace them. Plus nobody sharpens blades as well as they do, even old nasty rusty ones! They charge you more for nasty blades, but boy is it worth it. Premier sold Listers for years, and I have heard that theirs are nicer...nicer prices also :)

Ken used the new porcelain blades yet? Vicki

14. Vicki,

I have used the new ones...that was one that I tested for them. To me...they was SLOW!!!!! But, also I am used to a drop shaft machine that you can just blow though anything and it works. The only ones that I tested was for the sheep shears...13 tooth. The thing I could see that would be wonderful with them is if you dont do your own sharpening. That way you dont have to worry about rusty blades and cutters. That is the BIG thing. But, I do all my own sharpening and do it everytime that the machine is not going to be used in about a week. So, I really never get rusty blades/cutters.

Also if you do have a problem with your blades getting rusty. Keep them in oil all the time...just plain motor oil. Or, if you know someone that reloads rifle shells...get the oil that they use on the casings....that works WONDERFUL keeping the rust off of them. Its like heavy duty sewing machine oil.

Ken

15. NubianSoaps.com

Yes Tam that's the Premier knock off of Lister.

Thanks Ken. I really had never thought about just keeping them in oil! vicki

16. Doc

Doc New Member

Don't get the Premiers, they won't last. If you want a Lister, buy a Lister. A couple of my 4H kids bought Premiers and had to send them back multiple times for repairs. Listers are tanks.

Neither compare in reliability to Osters. I have a shearmaster and both a clipmaster and shearmaster heads. For udders and faces though, I have an A5. Sullivan Supply does all my blade sharpening, and I'm happy with their service. They come to the State Fair every year and I simply drop off all my blades while I'm there. If you have sheep AND goats, go Oster. Listers and Premier are for show clipping, they won't last doing the dirty work.