Clippers

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by leslieh, Nov 19, 2007.

1. leslieh

leslieh New Member

I know we have already discussed this on the old forum, but I didn't save it. :(

We literally burned up a set of the little clippers this fall. Melted the piece that held the blades. We have a set of the big clippers.

I'm looking for opinions on little clippers for legs, udders, ears and faces. Likes, dislikes, how long they last, etc. This will be our 3rd set of little clippers and am hoping for a more durable set.

Thanks,

Leslie

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I prefer Andis clippers, they work beautifully and the part you hold in your hand does get warm but not hot like the Osters do. And in my experience they last forever.

Autumn

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I used the Oster A-5 clippers for years and years, but they just don't seem to last very long now. Since I purchased my first Andis clippers, I'll never look back at the Osters.

4. goatmom

goatmom New Member

I also love the Andes -especially the fast blade change -unlike our big clippers.

5. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

I have the Osters clippers and really like it - but it is a little big when trying to trim udders, ect. For that I picked up a small clipper from Walmart that is made for humans. It works great.

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I use the Oster A-5 for most of my clipping. I ahve 2 clippers so I can let one cool off while I use the otherr one. I have a smaller Oster and a Wahl for tighter areas. I was lucky and only had to pay full price for one of the A-5's The other one I got from a friend and the smaller ones I got from the thrift store where I work.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I use the Oster A-5 Golden for legs,face,ears and udders. Haven't really had a problem of them getting hot.?? Next major purchase will be the Lister large clippers, if and when my Clipmasters ever die!? They are getting close to 30yrs. old and have only replaced the springs in the side of head once. Eneregizer Bunny comes to mind.
    Kaye

8. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I've also used the Clipmasters for many years, but they do wear you out, if you clip very many. I now have a Groomers Edge, and I really like it too. It will take the A-5 blades as does the Andis that I have. I still might invest in a Lister one of these days.

9. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

Has anyone tried the Premier1 clippers?

Trisha

10. leslieh

leslieh New Member

I'll investigate the Oster A-5. In six years time, I've worn out 2 sets of Wahl stable pro clippers. I need something that will last!!!

I do have a set of the gold handled clipmasters. But, since daughter has gotten older, she gets to do 90% of the clipping now. It is her getting tired, not me. ;) But I still have to do the udders and occasionally she wants me to do ears or legs on one that is being a *&#*%(@!

Thanks all, I sure appreciate all opinions.

Leslie

11. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

I love my StablePro clippers too but I'm on my 3rd pair too. Let me know how your new ones work out Leslie.

Trisha

12. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Trisha, I'll try to remember, but it will be April before we will use them, and you know, I'll have slept since then! :biggrin

Leslie

Oh, for the Andies users, what did you mean by "fast blade change"?

13. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

Thanks Leslie - are you sure kidding season isn't between now and April? What is sleep? :crazy Trisha

14. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I've had 2 pair of the A-5's.. and found a pair of Andis at Jeffers in thier sale barn. Came with a set of blades.. and I wouldn't have any others now.
    Take my Andis.. and you are in trouble. I have an old pair of A-5's for standby.. a large pair or Stablemate's ??? not sure of the name right off.(shows you how much I use them) but give me the Andis anyday.
    As far as getting in all those nooks and crannies... not a problem.
    I find that the bigger the clipper blade.. it has a tendancy to clip the skin in those hard to reach places. Little folds of skin get in between the teeth of the blade and clips a hunk out.

Rett

15. leslieh

leslieh New Member

For those of you that like the Andies, is there a particular model that stands out or are they pretty much the same. On the Oster A-5, it seems that the only difference between models was either single speed vs two-speed.

I'm ready for a set that will stay around for a long time!

Thanks,

Leslie

16. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I have a blue pair cannot think of the name right off hand but they are Andis 2 speed clippers I have never used the low speed ever...

17. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Don't know the model of mine either. Mine's maroon and are two speed. I have used the lower speed.. but not usually. The high speed is much faster than the usual one speed though.

18. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

:DWe have the Andis Maroon 2 speed (spent a little more..$5.00...for the Super model).
    We have clipped about 30 goats/year (Boer) and 10-15 Saanens. My DD uses the Andis for body clipping as well as legs, feet and face.

We purchased three years ago on the advice of Miss Vicki. She was right on. :D

Camille