clipper blades

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Halo-M Nubians, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I'm getting ready to send my blades off for sharpening. I was just going to mail them to the place listed in Jeffers catalog. I've never done it before, so if there's a better way-please tell me :biggrin

2. Who does Jeffers have in their catalog? If you look around alot of time you can find people local that sharpen blades. I sharpen all my own blades and have for years.

The best people really are ones that shear sheep since you will sharpen anywhere in the neighborhood of over a 1000 combs a year. If you have hair blades then look for a farm that shows beef cattle. Most people that show big time do all their own sharpening since you can get a wheel for just about 60 bucks.

Ken in MO

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

4. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I'll have to check out premier and check in spokane. Maybe I can find someone locally. Jeffers list two folk, the Blade Dr and someone named Larry G. Otts.

5. Jennie

Jennie Guest

I would check out Feed and Farm in CDA. They have a guy that I believe is local that runs it out of their store. My dad has always gone to them.

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I am soooo bad... I just buy new ones. :blush I never think to send them off and before I know it I need a new blade. Needless to say, I have a HUGE collection of dull blades!

Sara

7. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Well, I just had a bunch of blades sharpened by a local guy. Cost was $108! He picks up and delivers!

8. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I have two questions:
    Can I have the contact information for Premier (for sharpening)?

We do not show but I like to clip the goats for the summer and we are participating in a Linear Appraisal in May. Last year I used the #4F blades for my girls' bodies. It worked out well as I didn't have to shave legs or heads.

I have Oster A5 clippers with #30, #10 and #4F (Full tooth, 3/8", 9.5mm cuts).

Today my (sheep loving) daughter's new Oster Shearmaster Cippers arrived! Yipee! But I'm not sure what combs to get for the goats. Also, do I need a different cutter (4 point cutter blade is standard)?

So confrused!

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:blush2 Me, too, Sara! I can never remember to send them off in time and end up running down to the feed supply store and buying new ones. They're actually a couple dollars cheaper than ordering them.

Hhhhmm...maybe I oughta' stick them all in my tack box and take them to Nationals. Maybe someone there can sharpen them.???
    Kaye

10. Premier site is....www.premier1supply.com

They are about the best really. The prices are good, and also the turn around is about 2 weeks.

Heck Kaye, come up to Springfield, I can bring my wheel up there and have them all sharp in about an hour. Or really the best way to sharpen them at home is get a bench grinder with a 80grit stone. Lay the butt end first on it and then tilt it to the tip. Hold for about 30 second then slide it off the edge of the stone. Just watch that you dont get any black on the metal. That is really all there is to it.

Susie,

4 point is the most common anymore. You can use the sheep combs for goats. Heck I have for years. The comb will leave about 1/2 inch of hair on them. Or you can buy specail hair combs and that way you get a smooth cut with them(wool combs leaves little ridges). Oster blades can be picked up almost anywhere, or you can order some from Premier also.

Ken in MO

11. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Alright! I'm set then! :) Just waiting for everything to dry up (including wet wooly sheep!) and the fun will begin! :)