Cleaning the cheese cloth / sack ?

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by Amanda Lee, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

Is there any special way to clean your cheese cloth or muslin after each use. I am a newbie at this and love the fresh cheese. I have been using the 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinager to a gallon milk ( heated to 180) recipe.

I seperate the curds with a muslin cloth. I have been washing it after us with hot water and a tiny amount of All free & clear plus a splash of white vinager. Then rinse with clean cool water and line dry.

Is this all right? or is there another way better? Thanks

2. Leo

Leo New Member

Hi,
    I guess that sounds good, I haven't washed with vinegar, but I assume it adds some cleaning power to the All. I just put it on the sanitary cycle, hot water w/ bleach. Or boiling is good too, if it gets really into the cloth.
    Megan

3. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I rinse under running cold water first. Then with hot water really rubbing to get off visible particles. After that it goes into an appropriate wash load with my homemade non-toxic soap and oxyclean. Before use all my cheesecloths- new or used- get boiled and the boiling water used to sterilize the rest of the cheese stuff.

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I wash mine right away in the kitchen sink with Dawn with bleach alternative, rinse well in hot water with a bit of bleach, hang to dry and boil with cheese stuff prior to making cheese.

Christy

5. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

Thanks for all replies.
    I have not been boiling it before making cheese. I was given the recipe by my milk seller. I had never made cheese before until this fresh milk/non aged cheese recipe.
    :/
    I did not know to boil the muslin, so please don't fuss at me. I promise I will boil my muslin cloth from now on.
    After the muslin dries I fold it and store in a zip lock bag. It is always bone dry before I store it.
    I am glad I asked.

6. Rose

Rose New Member

I don't boil mine. I iron it. :biggrin

7. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

Are you serious? Hot iron with steam or no steam? Now I hate ironing but that would only take a minute.

8. Leo

Leo New Member

That's really ingenious. :D It's alot quicker than boiling. Cool.
    Megan

9. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

I will be ironing this week :rofl

10. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

After making cheese,I clean all the stuff off with running water and zap it in microwave wet ,let it dry and place in zip-loc-bag and right before I reuse the cloth ,I just microwave my cloth again in a glass Pyrex bowl with water to cover in it ,zap it good and it's boiling,let the cloth drip and cool,wring out and use for cheese.