Cleaning milk bucket/ bucket size

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by old dominion, Mar 23, 2008.

1. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Don't laugh but 8 years ago I purchased a Conde milking machine with a gallon and a half bucket (show machine). I have milked as many as 21 goats twice a day with this machine. To say the least this machine was tough as nails and owes me nothing. The pulsator has seen its better days so I pulled out a big Laval bucket that I purchased. How in the heck do you clean the bucket? My little bucket I would put in the sink once a week and hit it with a pad in addition to the daily cleaning. The big bucket is as tall as my arm is long. Any suggestions?

Also, what is the smallest bucket I can get that will fit a Delaval lid. I loved my little bucket for milk test. My scale was set for the bucket and I weighed the bucket of milk then dumped it.

Ok folks that have the answer to everything.... I am depending on you. :help

Jolene

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin Not sure this is the answer you want to hear...I take the top rack out of my dishwasher and wash it in there twice a week to put the shine back on it. Other than that, I put in the dairy sink and use Dawn dishwashing liquid and a scrub sponge outside and inside. Yeah, it's a pain...but, I don't have to dump milk as often. ;)

I have used my delaval lid (with a good gasket) on a surge bucket...once the vaccum kicks in, it seals it and holds the lid on the surge bucket.
    Kaye

3. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I clean my tall SS milk bucket with a NEW toliet brush. I can't get my arm in there.. won't reach either.. so I bought a toilet brush.. one what is not exactly round bristle on the ends.. to get in the corner.. of the bucket.
    Works like a charm for me.

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Great Topic Jolene! I need answers too :)

5. old dominion

old dominion New Member

With my Conde bucket everything came off and you could really clean it, every square inch of it. I admit I don't know how to take the thing off that fits between the lid and the pulsator but how do I know that the inside of the bucket is really clean enough to drink milk from?

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

If you're talking about the adapator...black thing, that the pulsator slides onto and you hook vaccum line to black sticky outy (??) port...I only take it apart IF I have an uh,oh and get the milk too close to the top of bucket. Other than that...I take the ring gasket off the lid every milking, wash the gasket and under it, hang gasket seperate from lid to dry. Wash the lid with soap and water and rinse. But I don't take the adapator off very often.

If you're worried about the inside of bucket...or have dust in the barn...run a bucketful of warm clean water through the inflations into the bucket and dump, before you start milking. I do that during the dry summer months when there's dust floating in the barn.
    Kaye

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Ewww a toliet brush? Somehow even new my milk customers would be commenting :) Remember when Bernice shared the story about straining milk with pantyhose and everyone got all uppity thinking they were used ones :) Vicki

8. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:rofl I sure do! :rofl

9. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

:/ Guess I should have kept that tid bit of info to myself :sigh :rofl