Clary Sage?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Kalne, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Can you tell me what it smells like? I see it in a lot of EO blend formulas but I have never smelled it and now I see it is on Lillian's Aug. presell. Wondering if I should try some.

Kathy

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Clary Sage has a unique slightly sweet light herbal scent. It is best used in a blend. I use it with Patch and Ylang for my flower child blend. You ought to get some it is wonderful!!

Christy

3. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Hmmm, okay, thanks. Now do I get 8 oz or a full pound? How well does it keep? :LOL

4. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Clary sage is wonderful in blends, I love that eo... now you got me looking at lils scents again...
    Barbara

5. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Clary sage is not good for those who are pregnant since it can cause them to go into early labor. That being the case I have never smelled it in case I would like it.

6. feistygoatwoman

feistygoatwoman New Member

Man! I would have rubbed this soap all over when I was pregnant with my son!! (weighed 10 lb 4 oz and not a day overdue!) Maybe this would be a good marketing ploy ;) hehe

I think I might try it too.

7. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

i have a hard time describing it... it is like trying to describe how a strawberry smells like without comparing it to anything.... impossible.... but it is a very nice scent... I have only a little bottle that i use for scenting things like milk baths. I have not made it in soap, though i would bet that it is wonderful!

8. Kalne

Kalne New Member

:LOL about starting labor!

Given the amount used and the fact that it's a wash off product and it has gone through saponification do you think eo's in soap can cause problems for pregnant women? I would understand not wanting it in a lotion or ointment or other leave on product. But what do you think about soap?

9. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Essential oils should be used with at least a good topical knowledge of the oil's properties.

Clary Sage is known as a women’s essential oil because it really dose have an effect on female hormones. Because of this Clary Sage is a natural aphrodisiac with sedative and antidepressant/anti stress properties. This oil is also used to reduce hair loss. Benefits also include antiseptic, deodorant, and helps oily hair. It has a history for use with reducing the side effects of menopause and also regulating menstrual cycles and reducing cramps.

Added to massage oil, the effect would be medicinal but you should not underestimate the impact it could have in soap or shampoo for some women.

Christy