Citric Acid

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by GallopingGoats, Nov 15, 2007.

1. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

Who is the best supplier for citric acid for the bath melts? Shannon

2. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Next wednesday I am getting a 55 pound bag of citric from a local chemical supplier. I will have extra so pm me if anyone wants some. It will be cheap - $1.50 a pound. Online suppliers are usually $2.75 a pound unless you buy big quantities.
    Have to ship UPS Ground I'm pretty sure.

Thanks,
    Bethany

edited to update price - I found my quote sheet!

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Actually just saw on the sage that it was $2.00 a pound - so I guess that it's not as big a savings as I remembered - but 50 cents is 50 cents! Btw a pound is a little less than two cups in volume by my experience - maybe 1 3/4 cups? Since I do my bombs and melts measuring the citric by volume thought that would help.

Also, I suspect that this distributor is the same place that BB gets theirs as I know for a fact they get thier sodium hydroxide there (I was there when they delivered my 55 pound bag and looked them up as soon as I got home - so now THEY Are my supplier!)

Bethany

4. GallopingGoats

I should have checked where I get my lye then I guess. Live and learn. I found a 50lb. bag on ebay. Total with shipping was about 80.00. I hope all citric is the same and I didn't just buy the wrong thing. It seemed so much cheaper than the other places online that I looked but it said for bath bombs and such. Is all citric the same? Shannon

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

There was a gal I was talking to last week who said she had gotten this citric once that was larger granules and it didn't fizz. I don't know why that was. I'm not sure there is a difference - but I've heard that age matters.

Bethany

6. Gabe

Gabe New Member

I always make my soap without Citric Acid.

7. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Gabe -
    People usually use citric in bath products like bombs and melts, I also have it in my lotion recipes.
    Glad to have you here! I see you are new!

Bethany

8. Gabe

Gabe New Member

:blush I only make soaps. noo bombs :nooo

9. GallopingGoats

well I sure hope that I bought the right stuff. My gut kept saying that there might be a reason that it was so much less expensive. I should know to listen to my gut. Shannon

10. Kalne

Kalne New Member

What does citric acid do for lotion?

I'd love to get some to play/experiment with but I'm going to have to wait until I *really* need to order something so I can get everything shipped together. Shipping can be such a killer.

11. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

I had some that was bigger grains- it fizzed just fine.

12. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

To be honest I don't know what it does. I use a modified version of Barb's recipe and that what was in it so that's what I use! I know people use it to adjust PH...

Bethany