Chromium

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LMonty, Mar 23, 2008.

1. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Ran into a really fascinating article on chromium. At first read, it makes me wonder if we might consider this as a supplement for various issues. It does appear to support immune health, and looks to me like a potential additive to Se/Vit E programs that just havent given quite the benfit expected or dont seem just as effective as they used to. A study that is reviewed in the article showed a significant decrease in retained placentas. It may help decrese the incidence of ketosis by decreasing the amount of fat deposited in the liver, so be of potential benefit during kidding season to reduce milk fever rates.

The table that shows the content of chromium in feedstuffs is interesting. Alfalfa seems rather low in chromium, so by feeding a lot of that we might be setting our animals up a for a mild deficiency, especially during the winter months when we feed mostly hay and grain. For herds that have great calcium intake, maybe fixing chromium deficinecy would help cut milk fever rates even more.

Is anyone familiar with chromium as a supplement or with anything about it or any speciific research done on chromium in goats? As with so much research this report concerns mostly dairy cows. I'd love to hear more about it, and your thoughts if you have a chance to review the article.

http://www.txanc.org/proceedings/1999/chromium.pdf

2. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Is the feed type yeast brewer's yeast?

3. LMonty

LMonty New Member

I dont know, thats one I'd have to ask the manufacturer about. Good question! Maybe the feed type yeast has a nutritional analysis on the bag?

4. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Well, I'm not much good at research, but I too have wondered about my feeding practices and the alfalfa unbalancing things, even though the calcium/phosphorus balance seems in line. I do know that in horses, lots of people avoid it for stalled horses because the high protein makes them pee so much (making the stall a horrible, smelly mess), and in humans, from what I understand, all that peeing from extra protein leaches out valuable nutrients, which is why Dr. Atkins prescibed enormous amounts of supplements, including calcium, to people following his diets. Yep, just when I think I got it all figured out, someone asks a question that makes me wonder if I really do have it figured out.
    You can buy a supplement for horses called quiessence with magnesium and chromium, but it's terribly expensive. I'll have to check my goat mineral tag and see what it says. I'm thinking of changing my minerals anyway as I'm trying to go allergy free and it does contain grain products, probably corn and maybe wheat and soy.
    Anita

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

by adding Kelp to your minerals or minerals that have kelp in them you get the extra Chromium (ppm) 1.49

6. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

:yeahthat Kelp contains all the minerals from sea water, which has almost the identical mineral balance as healthy mammal blood.

Tom (And yeah, I know St. Paddy's Day is coming up--I live with an Irishman, but this green background is NASTY!) :nooo

7. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

I don't know anything about the Chromium, but since the background was mentioned here I would like to say that I love the green and wish there was a way I could maintain it as the color I see on the forum after saint paddy's day,

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Tom you don't have a choice right now I run the background :) and I am Irish

9. catdance62

catdance62 New Member

i top-dress my feed with kelp, but it seems like it would be easier to just add it to their mineral. Anyone have a ratio? I already mix yeast in with my minerals 4:1

10. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

:roflWell, Sondra, it's not anything I can't live with! I've even gotten used to six weeks of fish sticks. Steve won't give up sweets--his birthday's in March!

Tom

11. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

kelp has chromium? Well, how wonderful, we do feed kelp. Everyone loves it. I had a mineral that I have fed my horses for several years that I fed the goats, but I didn't know if it was any good for lactating goats, so I switched. It was called "Healthy Minerals" from Countryside Natural products here in Va. A friend turned it me on to it for the horses because of the DE. She used it for a wormer. It never worked for me that way, my horses always showed strongles on their tests. Maybe it worked for some other worms though, since that was all that showed up, and I never saw tape segments.
    I know people who drink seawater and water their plants with the stuff for the extra minerals. Myself, I used to eat spirulina by the spoonful until I heard it was hard for humans to assimilate the nutrients in it. There's always something isnt' there, just when you think you've found the perfect thing?
    Anita