Christy....Cherve with FD? Possible?

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by NubianSoaps.com, Dec 26, 2007.

1. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I was reading through the coop, I love the Cherve culture (mild, creamy), not a huge fan of the formage blanc (drier not as creamy)...is there anyway of adding some of the FD to the cherve culture to heighten the flavor of the cherve? I love the FD but don't want to go back to rennet and temps. Vicki

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

We were talking abt this the other day and believe she said yes we can add it to the FB chevre will hunt for that thread

3. NubianSoaps.com

Thanks Sondra, I am guilty of only coming here when I need something ;) vicki

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well she didn't say that but she adds it with other cultures like when making feta. so don't see why not. I just went over to DGP and copied the thread with you /Jen/Boren talking abt the FD and Chevre and also smoking chees.

5. NubianSoaps.com

That was back when I was using the stuff from Cheese connection or something like that...the place you had to join and talk to them before you order. I just want to use the chevre culture from cheesemaking.com now :)

So Christy how much FD should I put in with it, and just from the beginning? NO extra heat or anything? Vicki

6. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Vicki, you can add the FD when you add the chevre culture at a rate of 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon for 2 gallons of milk. No special temp requirements.

I'll add the chevre culture to the coop.

I tried a chevre culture from a different place a few years ago and it was so tart my kids wouldn't eat it. That is how I got started with the FB.

If you say Ricki's chevre is mild and creamy I'm going to try it :D

Christy

7. NubianSoaps.com

Yeah maybe Linda will chime in also...we both used the cherve, then when I purchased in bulk for both of us we used the FB...we are both going back to the cherve, but I also want some of the FD to put in it for more deapth of flavor...the FD just is so rich tasteing!

Vicki