·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 quart of chopped green tomatoes
1 cup chopped sweet red peppers
1 cup chopped green peppers
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
chopped jalapeno peppers to taste if you want a little heat (optional)
5 cups chopped cabbage
1/3 cup canning salt (regular salt will make the liquid cloudy)
3 cups apple cider vinegar (you can use plain vinegar if you don't have it)
2 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spice
1 cup Splenda (or sugar or honey)

Combine vegetables, mix with salt using your hands and stir in well, and let it stand over night. Drain and press in a cheesecloth bag to remove all liquid possible.

Combine vinegar with the spices tied in a spice bag. Bring mixture to a boil. Add the Splenda (or whatever sweetener you use). Add vegetables, bring to a boil and simmer about 30 minutes or until there is just enough liquid to moisten the vegetables. Remove the spice bag. Pack hot relish into clean, hot pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust seals and process in a boiling-water bath for 10 minutes.

Yield: 4 pints

I tripled this recipe.

We usually eat chow chow with peas or beans and cornbread. It's good with chicken and dressing. It's like pickles, you can eat it with anything you like really.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Oh wow Chris, thanks so much for sharing this, honey? Just what I needed! :):)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks....
I have been wanting a chowchow recipe for a couple years now.

Paula

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bernice have you ever seen the book called Stocking Up? Copyright 1977 Rodale Press, Inc. They use honey in everything as a sweetener. I just change it to Splenda for DH.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've seen it advertized Chris back in the old Mother Earth News Mags. Thanks for letting me know about the honey, going to see if i can find it on e-bay. My hubs has diabetes (sp?) so I have to use a different sweetner.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
My Bible ! Also besides that one - Putting Food By.... with honey only!
Gotta love the old Rodale Press list if you are my age!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did anybody wind up making any Chow Chow? I guess I'm going to have to make a bunch more next year because DH is loving this stuff. I have to watch him because he still doesn't understand (or more likely don't want to) that with Diabetes it's not only WHAT you eat but PORTION SIZE matters too. The Goob!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts