Chilling milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Mar 18, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

What do you use for chilling milk? I tested my chilling method and it's not adequate. Right now I'm only milking one doe, getting 3 quarts a milking.

I've read that you can use a pasteurizer to chill milk-- I don't have a pasteurizer, so don't know how they work--

Thnaks for any help!

Susie

Oh I've been putting the jars in a big pot with ice water around them-- am trying it today with a bigger pot and milk in quart jars instead of half gallon. My icemaker doesn't seem to be spitting out as much ice as last year,hmmm.

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

You can put an icepack right in your milk pail ...that will help. Or what I do is stick the jars in a snow bank in the winter or in the freezer when we do not have snow.

Patty

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

smaller the container the faster it will chill I put ice bottles in my bucket as I milk.

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

You can also try an ice chest with a brine of salt/ice/water the temp is lower than 32F. You can store the brine in the freezer and continually reuse it.

Christy

5. Kalne

Kalne New Member

We use a brine solution to chill ours as well.

I've always wondered about putting ice packs right in the bucket. Do you put it in a fresh baggie each time and switch it between does? Then how do you fish it out before straining the milk?

In the heat of summer we use two pails. The outer/larger one has a brine solution. Then a smaller pail fits inside and is what we milk into. The milk starts chilling as soon as it hits the bucket. This has worked very well for us but is a pain. And we cannot use it with our kinders since only the smaller pails fit under them. LOL

6. susie

susie New Member

I was just thinking - what about the ice cream maker??-- looks to be the right size for a jar or two in the middle-- anyone ever try that??

7. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I think it would work great. I don't actually use the Brine idea. My husband built me a milk chiller based in the design of commercial wine chillers like this one,

http://www.wineaccessory.com/winewell.htm

I put my 3gal milk tote into the chiller with the filter on top and strain and chill after each doe. My milk gets to temp really fast :D I know it is not practical for everyone though.

Christy

8. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Interesting devise, Christy. How does it work? The cold water seems to be in the middle?

9. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

There is a compresser underneath the to regulate the temp at 33F during chilling times then it goes into defrost mode. A pump keeps the water circulating around the tote for faster chilling. Our set up is rectangle, not round. A rubbermade tote holds the water on top of the compresser unit which sits in a metal stand. A 5gal bucket is on one side of the tote, that is where I put my ss milk tote.

Christy

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I freeze juice bottle or coke bottles full of water which the outsides then can be washed and sterilized between use these are put in my machine bucket and milk cools as each is milked then when taken out and strained it is already pre cooled and will be put in the deep freeze then to the refrig.

11. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Susie, your ice maker will thank you if you freeze water bottles to reuse for chilling. That what I do and it looks like most everyone else too-lol! I put the milk in glass and sing it down in my ss bucket with the bottles around. As far as putting ice directly in the milk I use ziploc sandwich bags-either fill and pre freeze...or if I forget I can just put cubes in them. I don't want to have to sterilize anything (lazy) and I don't want to worry about cooties :) Not as good for the environment tho.

12. susie

susie New Member

How many frozen bottles then do you use? i've been using three, plus ice cubes . having a hard time getting it below 48 degrees. this is for 3/4 gallon milk in a good-sized bucket.

Thinking I'd like to buy some of those blue rubbermaid ice chest freezer things to put in a bag and milk over that-- don't want it too cold to strain.

Susie

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I use to put the milk into quart glass jars and put those into a 5 gallon bucket with a hose running...on low. Chilled it very fast for me, by the time I got done milking the milk was refrigerator-cold. It does waste some water but if you keep the hose on low it's not so bad...waters the grass too.

14. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

Snowbanks LOL - not much help am I :biggrin

15. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I just use two of the big 20oz bottles around a 1/2 gallon glass pitcher. I've never checked the temp, so probably is not dropping like you want. I always figured if the flavor is good and it is keeping well in the fridge then it is working well enough for me.

16. steffb

steffb New Member

I simply place the jars in a sink full of ice water. if you agitate the milk it will chill faster. i do about 5 gallons every morning. I also have a fish tank pump in there to keep the water moving. Gets down past 45 in two hour, my legal limit.