cheese question

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by penelope, Mar 20, 2008.

1. penelope

penelope Guest

okay wise cheese makers, i've got a question. i have made yogurt successfully and yogurt cheese(of course that's easy) and i want to make real cheese. i don't want to screw it up either though cause milk is expensive. which cheese should i try to make first. i want to do a semi hard or hard one cause the hubby doesn't eat feta and such. should i just dive in and go for the cheddar or colby? i read something about doing farmers cheese first but is it any good? so many choices, so much yummy goodness. i want to make one we will actually eat. any suggestions?

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Most people don't jump into Cheddar and Colby until they have some cheese making experience. These cheeses also require a cheese press. Mozzarella and Queso Blanco would be an easier place to start, the recipes are in the sticky.

Christy

3. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Once you invest in a press you can do all those fun aging cheeses!
    It is just a matter of following the procedure exactly and paying attention to sanitation. I had never made anything with milk when I started and have only had a few bloopers that were my own fault because I thought I could mess with the recipes!
    It is so rewarding to peel that wax off and cut into that wheel of aromatic stored milk!

I would suggest the book Home Cheesemaking if you don't have it.
    Best Luck!
    Lee

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I completely agree with Christy. Start with soft cheeses before moving to hard and aged cheeses. I really like Fromage Blanc. It's super easy and everyone loves it.

Sara

5. penelope

penelope Guest

yeah i think i heard something about mozzarella being a good starter. i'm going to build my own cheese press. i guess if i make the mozz i better have pizza makings on hand or the herd will get angry. i've never had fromage blanc but i will check into it. thanks alot!;)

kristin

6. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I agree with everyone else, Fromage blanc is a classic, hard to mess up cheese that can be used in too many ways to count...on bagels, toast, spread, mixed with herbs...etc...and, of course Mozz couldn't be any easier. I would have these mastered before heading on to the aged and hard pressed.

Everyone have a great Easter,
    Paula

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

All I can say is I have been making cheese for nie on 8 yrs now and still haven't ventured into hard cheeses and I have a press. Hoping to try some this year , just don't seem to ever have a lot of milk extra.

8. penelope

penelope Guest

yeah we use a ton of milk. not even sure where it goes most of the time. thanks for all your suggestions!

kristin