Checking out my milk machine

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Oct 11, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Hey all, with all the chat and concern that some of my current lopsided udder issues may be mechanical related....what should my next step be to correct this issue. I really started using the machine, which I bought new in mid to late August. However, I bought it in March (tax refund). I am thinking of just trying to send it back and have it overhauled.....or, I have been told that I can buy inexpensive testers that test the vacumn. For now, I will go back to hand milking.

Thanks,

Paula

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Who did you buy it from? Can you post a photo? Are all the does who are lopsided, lopsided on the same side? Could you have something wrong with a connection or a hole somewhere that is simply milking less milk from one side than the other with loss of vacume to the inflation? Do you empty the udders by hand afterwards?

What pulsator do you have? Vicki

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I is the Capri-lite dual milker, http://www.capralite.com/Dual_Milker.htm
    WHen I received it it would not work right, so I called Register Furney (Register's goat supply, the distributor) and he said that he hooked it up wrong and sent me more air lines. The only change made other than adding the correct airline is that a friend adjusted the little screw on the back of the pulsator. SHe said it was ticking to slow. Unfortunately they are not lopsided on the same side....If yes, I think this fix would be easier.

I do not strip afterwards, should I? I have heard both answers on this but, at this point will do what ever works and obviously what I am doing now is not!

Here is something interesting I think, Will Pearson, bought the same unit and a few weeks ago we were showing together and he was handmilking everyone, I asked why he wasn't using his new machine and he said that he was convinced it is causing him some mastitis issues and he will deal after show season....hmmmmmm......

Thanks,

Paula

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would strip after each milking because then you are sure (in this case) your emptying out both sides. JMO

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I do take the time to finish each doe by hand, massage the udder and make sure she is empty. This 1/2 cup to 1 cup of milk, in my opinion, is enough to keep her from staying in good production here.

When you are milking is all the milk leaving the whole inflation with each new suck? If not the milk is slugging in the inflation. It's why I like claws, they have ports in them that let in fresh air so milk can't slug in the line. The elbows in milklines used to be stainless, it was this stainless elbow with the tinest of wholes, before then we simply put a needle into the lines at the inflation line in the same way claws or those elbows worked.

I would be this is your problem. It's a simple fix...I just don't know what that little stainlesssteel part is.

I also can't even imagine buying something like this for that kind of money and it not having claws.

OK looking at it closer it's an interpulse pulsator I would not have let your friend mess with it, it's what I use.

Are there little holes in the white plastic elbows at the end of your inflations? Vicki

6. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Yes, there are little holes, I did not get the inflations that he tradionally sells with the unit. I had him order and install the SP-6000 goat inflation as it came highly recommended to me by a breeder that I bought some of my girls from. http://www.siliconeplastics.com/webpages/agProducts/sp6000.htm

"When you are milking is all the milk leaving the whole inflation with each new suck? " I am not really sure, it seems like milk is just consistently streaming thoughtout the process....I will look closer this evening to check.

Since she did "mess' with it, how can I check to see if it is okay now?

Nothing is ever simple....

Thanks for helping me,
    Paula

7. FRW

FRW New Member

There is a filter on your machine that usually just has a piece of cheese cloth in it.This needs to be replaced and or cleaned weekly.If this is stopped up it can make your pulsator not work correctly also. Your filter looks like the same filter set up I have It just unscrews and you can get to the cheese cloth or filter in it out easily and clean it
    I agree with Vicki I would get the claws as soon as you can. Also the Interpulse pulsator you have is the best smoothest I have used. I liked it so well I have it on both machines.
    Paul Hamby and the guys at http://partsdepartmentonline.com/ have always been good at helping diagnose a problem.
    Hope you find your problem.

8. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I am sure this is just going to sound like such a newbie question...but, where do the claws go on this setup and I looked on partsdept and there are sooo many options....what should I buy?

Thanks,

Paula

9. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

I'm curious about what claw would be best also..........I have all in ones at the moment but I want to make the switch to a claw (with the inflations attaching to a bowl (? is that the word) not the sort where you have a separate "claw" for each inflation or cup...........confusing huh? The sort I'd get if I could afford them are on this page (right on the bottom SG-TF100).........http://www.delaval.com/Products/Sheep_goat/Clusters/default.htm
    Vanessa