Changing feed?New goats!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doulanobles, Jun 9, 2008.

1. doulanobles

doulanobles Guest

We're buying some new goats)yay!) but are going to feed them a bit differently than what they're on now. What's the best way to change and over what period of time? Also, they haven't been allowed free access to browse and we have 5 acres for them. Should i limit the time they're out? For how long?

We're getting nubians from Jennie and I think it's a great fit for us.

One more thing, our boer cross doeling is 6 weeks and the doelings we're bringing home are 12 weeks but our boer cross is way bigger than these new girls. Should i worry about any fighting, etc.?

Thanks all!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

they should be OK does the boer cross have horns?? if so then I would worry but otherwise they will soon sort things out. As for feed bring home a bag of what they are used to and start mixing in a tad of your new feed gradually increaseing the amounts until your out of that bag of feed from the breeder by that time in should be increased enough (3/4) to go straight to your feed.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

also introduce them slowly to the new grass and browse

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Best thing is get (beg/borrow/steal :lol) some of Jennie's feed then slowly mix your grain with her ration until you've got them switched completely over. Usually half a bag is enough to switch them completely over.
    Kaye

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You are not going to put someone else's goats in with yours are you? They should be penned seperatly while they get used to your browse, get used to your hay, you feed, have thier feet trimmed, are vaccianted, wormed, tested for CAE and watched for CL abscess. Then introduced slowly in to your goats on non feeding times so they can fight out in the pastures, and yes they are going to fight. I don't care who you buy from you bring things from the stress of the move onto your farm that you old goats likely have no immunity to. Vicki

6. Jennie

Jennie New Member

We can set you up before you go.(no need to steal) The biggest change for the girls will be going from alfalfa hay to the pellet. You are very lucky to browse. I have pasture envy. I will call and we can talk.