changes in alfalfa pellets

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, May 22, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

is anyone else seeing a change in alfalfa pellets?

Same brand
    Same bag
    HIGHER price

they are crumbling to dust!

Anyone have a brand we can look for? These were ARROW. Almost 4yrs with no trouble. But I just dumped tons of dust out of feeders yesterday....

humidity is up suddenly here so contributing I am sure...

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use bryan so maybe you can get it there. also talk to your dealer maybe these were on the bottom and got smushed.

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

they are pellets in the bag....I checked the can, but the *feel* is different and the does seem to be good at turning them from pellets to dust...

and feed store dealer does not stock alot... if we go on Sat vs Fri he is often out and we have to go back ... but I do maintain an extra weeks worth or close...

4. coso

coso Guest

Mine have had some dust in them lately, but not a lot. I started feeding some when I got half way through a big square bale of alfalfa hay and it started having a lot of grass in it :nooo I wonder how those pellet mills run. Do they just pellet all the alfalfa hay they can get in the summer and fall then shut down in winter? Or do they store big bales and make alfalfa pellets all year long? If they make it then store it we may be seeing this because the bags have been sitting around all winter in a warehouse somewhere getting stale. Or I guess if alfalfa pelletw are getting short in places they may be shipping them from place to place to supply demand which would break them down some what also. :shrug2 They should be getting a first cutting by now so maybe we will see some fresh pretty quick. :D

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thanks that info/thoughts help....

6. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

we have long gotten mg pellets. then we switche dto co-op pellets. now when we go to mg dc and goats balk. almost entire dust, it seems (hyperbolic statement, but still...)

7. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

what is mg?

I don't see being able to get to the Bryan co-op and get home with enough... as it is dh told me max load for our van is 25-30 bags... we go through 10-12 per week....

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I scoop my dust out of the feeder and spread it around my vegetables in the garden. Then I take my fingers and work it in the ground. They love it.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I am still feeding Boyce, not dusty but there is alot of pellets that crumble, it goes to the pigs. I love MG and I loved Arrow (I can't get them anymore) but my favoriets are Evans and I am moving to them next load, they are nearly $1 more a bag but now with half the goats I am making several changes to more money and less work. I buy the MG brand because the pellets are hard and small to start my babies on.

With the change Lynn, call the mill, complain...I always start with a compliment of how much we love your products and go through a 50 pound bag a day, but this last batch is crumbly. Vicki

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

11. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

nod... we will talk to the dealer Fri... until now I have been very pleased...

12. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Both my alfalfa & oats are Arrow