Change in doe - kidding or sick?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, May 12, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

This is my only goat that we didn't know her due date for sure. Last December when we put the buck in with the does he bred two right off and we saw those, but we had barely missed Capella's heat. I kept the buck in there past when she should go into heat again, but never saw her go into heat. Many here said it was likely she went into heat with the other does and was bred then. We sent the buck home shortly after new years.

If I went by the other does day 150 she would be 9 days over due. but I suspect it was later...this nubian is HUGE!!! Last year I missed her kidding because she didn't show mucus, no huge bagging up (though she bags up way early, but it didn't get any bigger prior to) I was clueless about ligaments back then so I have no idea about that.

Today I went out to give her her grain and she didn't touch it. I thought maybe she was being finicky about the minerals again so I brought her grain without and she took a couple of nibbles. This concerned me as my first thought was hypocalcemia. I had upped her grain significantly to prevent this and she is also on free choice local and alfalfa pellets. Then I felt her ligaments - I'm very bad at this...but I don't seem to feel them, yet her tail is still up??? I don't know.

her vulva is considerably less puffy, she had some hay sticking to it which made me think there was something coming out over night, but no strings (of the three other does kiddings I have witnessed only one had strings before).

What is very weird is she has been hollow at the hips and low hanging belly for a few weeks and now there is no hollows at all and the babies are moving around like crazy. the last few weeks she has had this tired look about her, like her eyes are never fully open, but today she is wide eyed and just looks very different.

So I'm concerned, could she be kidding? Could she be getting sick? (please no, I have had enough of that this year!) She shows no sign of illness other than not eagerly gobbling up her grain.

This I know...There will only be hand breeding for all my does here on out - none of this complete guessing!!!!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I had upped her grain significantly to prevent this and she is also on free choice local and alfalfa pellets.

First significantly is fine as long as it is done slowly over weeks, not days.

But of course none of us can answer your question. But missing a meal/breakfast and heavy bred here means they are kidding late afternoon...if she doesn't kid and then doesn't eat again tonight than yes start her on the hypocalcemia protocoal. Vicki

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Oh yes, her grain was increased over a couple of weeks.

She ate her grain last night so it's just this morning she didn't eat. There is just a bit of mucous now and she is not heading out with the rest of the goats. I've only just put her back in the kidding pen.

I don't get why she doesn't have this tight shiney udder or long mucous strings like everyone always talks about. I checked the ligaments again and they are so very gone. Just mush, but yet she can still move that tail! Totally weird.

I will have the CMPK on hand just in case.

Thanks!

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

sounds like she is ready to freshen to me I have does that don't have shinny udders or mucus

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

That sneaky little doe kidded just one hour after I had checked her this afternoon. she had no mucous, didn't seem to have contractions, nothing. She is like the best hider of labor ever! Two kids (I'm very surprised she was so big!) just under 10 pounds each, camel color just like thier dad. A doe and a buck.

6. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Congratulations! :)
    Two of my three that kidded this year had no mucous either. I kept watching for it, but it never came. I guess each doe is different.
    Kathy

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Congratulations!! Think this is a NO mucus year at least around here.:)

8. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Anyone know how I can get this doe to let me get some colostrum out of her? I think she is mad I took those babies. I did milk her last year, but she was dried off really early and she is out of practice. I think we are going to have to have a "forced" milking with the kids all helping to hold her and me milking. THAT should be fun!

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:rofl I hope the milking adventure goes well for you. Congrats on the kids! I guess the doe answered your question herself. Huh? :p

10. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Grrr. Well she was mellow and we only had to hold her back legs in place kind of. it was much less drama than I thought, but I only got a pint out of her. I probably could've gotten more if she had teats larger than my pinky! I will go out again when my hand stops cramping.
    I've had it with those tiny teats! I was going to keep her for another year for milk since the other doe I had that was a good milker and had nice sized teats is gone, but I don't think I can handle those tiny things another season! I was hoping for larger this year since it's her second freshening. I still have Madam of course, but I wanted another doe to keep up...

11. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Bethany,

Have you thought about getting a maggidan's milker? They're designed for mini's but also sell a larger syringe for full-sized goats. I got one, but had to order an even larger syringe separately because Sugars teats are HUGE. I'll probably use it now that Cinnamon has freshened. Her teats are smallish - not tiny, but not very big. But hand milking cramps my hands and wrists, and I got it just in case I couldn't handle milking more than one (yeah, I'm a wuss) :)

Kathy

12. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

Give her a week or two before you make up your mind :) If she didnt udder up before hand it may take her a little bit for the those teats to enlarge with this freshening. I will have to agree with you though that those tiny teats are so impossible. My first and only doe in milk last year had really small teats and I wondered all year why my hands cramped every time and never seemed to "get into shape" LOL Now I know - Now that I have milked more than one goat! :)
    Patina

13. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Oh, she bags up long before she kids and she has this terrible lumpy udder (yes, she has had all the myriad of tests). She had a precocious udder so I think that messed it up from the start. It makes me nuts because she LOOKS like she should have so much milk! But so far all I've gotten is 1 quart total and it took me about 5 times as long as it takes to get 2 quarts out of madam.

:crazy