Cement slab sweating!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by NubianSoaps.com, Dec 19, 2008.

1. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

100% humidity of course, fog.....my milkroom cement is so wet I actaully went and asked my husband if he had powerwashed the milkroom because something had happened (my sisters trailer is being moved into the doe pasture and they have been using my sink, the does fence is down and they are trapped into another pasture)....I digress :)

When it dries up, since the vapor barrier is obviously not working, can I seal this? Will it work to keep the moisture from puddling on the surface? Vicki

2. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

The physics of the thing is the slab is cooler than the soggy air, so in these weather conditions, the moisture is gonna precipitate out, no matter what. My garage floor is sealed, & still has been sweating & wet for days. Sealing will make it not stain as bad iff you spill something, easier to clean, but it'll still sweat when the weather's like this.

Tom

3. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

My back patio is soaking wet too.

4. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

the kids left the front door open and our laminate floors are slick and damp!

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin Might be time for some Absorb? That stuff you use in the garage to absorb oil leaks? Kitty litter? Sand? I'd be more concerned about busting my butt on the slick surface! :/ since I do love my crocs, even in the winter.
    Or up here...wait until Sun. pm when the temps drop to 17 degrees! ARGHHHH
    Kaye

6. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Hey Vicki
    In my milk room, I have my floor sealed while other parts of my slab are not . The whole thing is equally wet right now. I like the sealed floor as under normal conditions it dries quicker & doesn't stain. This sure beats last year though when I was milking in a tarp covered shed with no power & no water :)

7. togg75

togg75 Guest

Is your milking room insulated and airconditioned?

The weather we have had the last few days is very unusual......the man who helped me stressed that the slab be 8" to 10 " under the normal dirt elevations due to the heaving effect the hot and cold temps could provide to a slab project. Also by digging the slab into the sub soil the slab is insulated from the fluctuations of surface temperatures.

Our slab (which is poured and cured now :p) is 8" below the top soil. I hope that the sweating effect is something we do not have to deal with.....but I am sure that with the weather conditions like we have had the last few days...anything is possible.

8. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

My feed bags where soaking wet in between them all. I can't figure out if the ceiling was sweating really bad or what happened? The feed is sitting up on pallets and only got wet between the sides of the bags? Confused?

Wendy

9. NubianSoaps.com

Is your milking room insulated and airconditioned?

Mark you just crack me up...you don't know me very well :) But you did give me a good chuckle!!!

Thanks everyone, at least it's nice to know that everyones slabs are wet, sealed or not. Bummer, I just hate it!

Kaye mine is x-rough, I broomed the snot out of it as it dried because I have had a slick concrete patio before that I used to slip on all the time. Aesthetically the idea of throwing sand all over my clean concrete would just bother me to no end :) Vicki

10. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

We made the mistake this past summer, of storing hay in our 3 car garage, up off of the cement floor on pallets, as... we were lucky enough to have a bumper crop of hay this year, and the barn was packed, and so we put the rest into the garage. BIG MISTAKE! Even though it was up off of the cement, most of it got moldy anyway, darnit... I think just from the moist cement. (was not a total waste, however-made good pig bedding.) I am glad to hear that sealing the cement probably would not make much of a difference, as I was considering that, for the NEXT time we have "too much" hay.... altho, in MY book, one can NEVER have too much hay! :) Finding a place to store it is the problem! :)

11. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

What, togg? You haven't seen Vicki's milk room? Man, it's worth the trip! Crystal chandelier, gilt mirrors, original murals--the works! I'm trying to get her to have an open house, but all she wants to do is have a fence-building seminar! (Bring your own gloves.) :rofl :rofl :rofl

12. NubianSoaps.com

Tom it's worse right now, the fence is completely down....I asked husband today. So are we talking a week or a month until the new fence is up? He promises it will only be a week...you are still more than welcome to bring your gloves and come on up! You already missed the straw spreading party! vicki

13. togg75

togg75 Guest

I'm glad i can be so amusing.... :p

I'm sure after I get done tasting this awful Togg milk I will be begging someone to sell me a Nubian Sweet Milk Queen.

And no I have never seen her milking barn just trying to be helpful.... :derr

The question is still there...is it AC ...I think a picture is in order. :crazy

14. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

We have had this problem in the spring with our chicken co-op. We always just leave a fan going when it happens. Seems to help, but I don't believe we have ever had 100% humidity! ;)
    I can say we are having issues with out barn. The does are keeping it so warm the tin is sweating. Thank goodness it isn't damp in the barn or we would have bigger issue's then a couple extra salt licks gone gross. (I am happy to have the new fan put in :lol)

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

LOL....Mark, that is exactly why I went to American Toggs. AND there are a few bloodlines in Toggs that bred specifically for that awful tasting milk for cheese. I won't elaborate. I just stay WAY AWAY from the lines.

I can't help with the sweating...but, I bet by Mon. or Tue it quits sweating, if this cold front gets down your way! Arrrggghhh...17 degrees is just WRONG in the south!
    Kaye

16. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

The front is past Vicki's place now. My guess is the slab's stopped sweating & she's thrown an extra log or two on the fire! High is only in the 40's tomorrow, & wind to boot :/

Tom

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yeh and if she was up here and it wasnt dry she could skate on it in the morning :)

18. NubianSoaps.com

Yep was out working today in capri's and short sleeved shirt! It should drop 40 degrees by tommorrow.

Just teasing you Mark. I am a very practical kind of person, no AC, big fans yes! My goats earn their keep, and they don't earn enough for me to AC their barn.

Keep warm Kaye perhaps we could at least get rid of a few parasits if the cold holds for more than overnight. Vicki

19. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Sorry for being slow Vicki, but my slab was super wet as well. Crazy! Now in my storage room the floor was normal. That room is completely closed in but no AC/ or Heat. Strange how just some walls would make such a difference.

20. NubianSoaps.com

Yeah my 'hay' 'kennel' room was dry also. Oh and the slab isn't wet anymore with the cold :) Vicki