Cedar as browse?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Feral Nature, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Is Cedar okay for browse? If so, are there any benefits such as vitamins or minerals? Is there a limit to how much cedar goats can eat? Also, this is not growing in their pens but something that I would cut and throw in their pens as we have it in our pastures.

Just looking for something besides the boring Yaupon that they get all the time. Variety might be nice in the winter. Cedar and Yaupon are both evergreen and plentiful here....endless.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I cut and throw a few branches now and then to the goats but not on a daily basis . Also they are using goats to control red cedar so would say start of slow just like anything else and you should be ok .

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I wouldn't look for them to eat much of it if they have other stuff to eat.....I have 3 cedars here, and my goats can get to them free choice.......I see them taking little nibbles off them at times , but that's about it.....The bucks would rather rub their heads on them than anything.

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Good to know about using goats to clear cedar. We have so much here and it would be great to include it in their diet especially in the winter when most things are brown around here.

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

My goats are penned and esentially dry-lotted as they have eaten down their browse. So i cut and throw browse into their pens until we can fence fresh browse in for them. We have lots of spce, need more fencing.

6. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

My buck has completely barked the cedar trees in his pen. darn it. I meant to wrap them with chicken wire. My does prefer other types of evergreen but they enjoy the occasion cedar as well. They love the slal brush. Shannon

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl....you think that's something !!! Don't let him around your rosemary bushes.....although it will make him smell better for a couple hours. There's something about those mint smelling bushes that a buck just can't seem to resist.

8. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Our goats LOVE the odd cedar branch. I tucked some limbs I pruned into their fence and they practically stampeded to get to them.

I have also heard that evergreens have natural worming properties...can't remember if it is tannins or what the reason is.

9. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Yall have no idea how good this news is. When I feed so very much of one type of browse (Yaupon Holly, we have about 50 acres of it) it is bound to cause excesses of some nutrients and shortages of others. It is great to find another browse for the winter for variety of diet. Well, maybe I should not call it browse but rather "cut and carry forage".

10. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Our goats love the cedar bark trimmings. I stack extra cedar posts in their pen until needed and they'll strip them clean and shiny. Haven't given them the leaves yet as we only have 1 giant cedar tree and it's one I'd rather they not eat, lol.