CD/T Shots

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MG_loves_Toggs, Sep 18, 2013.

1. MG_loves_Toggs

MG_loves_Toggs New Member

Hello All,

Although I've used DGI as a reference for years this is my first post. I hope I'm doing this right :)

Over the summer I talked to several people who say they give CD/T shots as often as 2-4 times a year on mature does. From what they say, the more frequent schedule helps fill in the gaps, since the vaccine is not 100% effective. They're giving the "build-up" month apart dose as kids, and then the subsequent doses are single doses given 3-6 months apart.

This year we had a scare with a doe who we suspect had a Clostridial disease, although she had been vaccinated. Does anyone have any experience with doing CD/T vaccines more frequently than the usual once a year booster? Also, has anyone tried re-vaccinating (the 28 days apart dose) periodically to protect in case of an ineffective initial vaccine? I forget where I heard this, but I think someone told me that the vaccine itself is not 100% effective.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!! Thank you!!

2. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Besides the initial vaccine to kids plus the boosters, and then vaccinating once per year, I do not vaccinate more than this. I do not have the time nor inclination to vax 28 does every few months.

That being said, I do keep tetanus ANTITOXIN and CD ANTITOXIN on hand. Because if there really was a break in immunity, I would want to treat right away and the vaccine wouldn't cut it.

3. MG_loves_Toggs

Thanks you!! I really appreciate your input.

4. swgoats

swgoats Active Member

People vaxing several times a year are also injecting mercury preservative into their goats several times a year, which concerns me. Clostridia usually takes over as an end stage due to something else disrupting the gut. Excellent prevention is attending to parasite prevention and healthy diet.

5. fmg

fmg New Member

No vaccine is 100% effective, just to be clear.

6. PrairieTrail45

PrairieTrail45 New Member

I also just do the initial shot + booster then give once a year, usually one month before kidding. One way to help ensure the effectiveness of your vaccine is to make sure it stays cool. If you go buy it at the store, bring it straight home, don't leave it in the hot car and let it get too warm.

7. MG_loves_Toggs

Good point. We normally get ours from Jeffers, so I don't have a lot of control over the transport, but maybe that's something I should look into....Thanks again for your reply!

8. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Jeffers ships all vaccines via overnight air and also packs with an icepack.