CD/T Injection problems

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by trueblessings, Jul 3, 2008.

1. trueblessings

trueblessings Member

I've just read recent post regarding CD/T vaccine.
    After what has happened to my kids, I'm ready to through this stuff out the door.

1st doe kid 12 weeks old, was in good condition, weaned, eating well, very active, was given CD/T and was sick within 36 hours.................cough, fever, not eating

2nd and 3rd (doe and buck) kid 12 weeks old, same as above in great condition, was given CD/T and both now have large cyst at injection site. I drain area daily, but next morning swollen again with infection. I always use new needle/syringe with each injection and each animal, it was administered SQ. :help What's Up?

My older does are due their annuals in November but at this point I'm afraid to give it to them.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Since neither Tetanus or either C&D clostridiums can cause these symptoms even if it was a live virus...like you can come down with the flu after a flu shot...or did you catch the flu being around the people getting the flue shot or the person giving it to you :)

Anyway the first one is coincidence. The second sadly is poor technique, or you didn't clean the skin and you pulled something on the skin under the skin. Now draining it you have likely make the infection worse. Might want to give pennicillin to clear it up and keep the area cleaned and stop messing with it.

All does with good immunity via good colostrum get granulomas at the injection site, it shows their bodies immunity coming to fight off this injection. Anything more than a lump and you did something with the injection technique. Most inject into the skin, not under the skin. vicki

3. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

So how do you inject into the skin and not under it? I'm new at this needleing stuff and want to do it right.

Wendy

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Well shoot I meant those who get abscess are injecting into the skin or fat, and not under the skin like you are supposed to :)

Pull of a tent of skin and insert your needle through the opening you made in the tent down low. If you take down the tent of skin you should be able to feel the needle under the skin and move the skin.

We had 4H kids practice with nylons over an orange, using the same thing to teach IM shots. Vicki

5. trueblessings

trueblessings Member

Sorry I'm so long in responding.

Thank you Vicki! I will change my technique and try to clean the areas better.

The areas were shaved, allowed to drain, checked daily, sprayed with Dr. Naylor's and have completed healed.