CD (t) antitoxin or toxoid - ENTERO ?s

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Feb 18, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Stood in front of the med case at the coop Friday totally confused. :lol There are so many types of stuff that said CD and CDT antitoxin and toxiod. Help!!! I'm sorry I was in a hurry and didn't write down while there so am not sure what all the options were. I was actually pricing 'biotics when I noticed the CD antitoxin labeled for vet use only and thought that might be one of the things to put on my med essentials list. Yes, I know I shop things to death, :crazy but then (hopefully) I am happy w/ the purchase and know what to do w/ it.
    Would someone care to take the time to explain the differences - slowly, please! I'd like to get "ejucated"...
    My most important question-- What do I need to have on hand for a case of entero? Thanks

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Antitoxin gives almost instant immunity

Toxin takes up to 21 days to be fully effective.

So routine shots are toxin

injury to an unvaccinated animal = antitoxin

Patty

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

antitoxin for entro in large amounts sub Q and orally. Look up the dosage in 101.

Patty

4. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Get both. Give the toxoid as the preventative, but have the antitoxin on hand, as the vaccine is not foolproof. We were supremely lucky last year that LeeAnne had the antitoxin when we had a vaccinated goat get entero. (And that she only lives about 3 miles from us) We have never been without it since.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I give CD/T which is toxoid and containd tetnus also then I have Tetnus antitoxin for use if need be for tetnus
    and ALWAYS have CD ANTITOXIN on hand because you need it now when you need it. Hopefully you'll never need it.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

CD&T Toxoid...Tetanus Toxoid...C&D Toxoid

Are all vaccinations that boost immunity, given 21 days apart it seals immunity. They are all clostridiums with C&D two of the many alphabets that cause enterotoxemia...T is for Tetanus.

C&D Antitoxin and Tetanus Antitoxin are given to prevent entero or tetanus....say a kid gets into the grain or a goat gets bitten by a dog or gets a severe cut. Or you have a goat with entero or in tetanus you then give it for relief. No amount of giving an antitoxin will impart immunity plus it is only good for about 10 days so multiple shots need to be given until immunity is sealed with a Toxoid.

Purchase your vaccine...BarVac CD&T Toxoid or Vision CD&T Toxoid...or like Kaye does you can purchase a seperate C&D Toxoid and a Tetanus Toxoid to give.

Then for emergency keep on hand C&D Antitoxin and Tetanus antitoxin. Vicki

Now everyone fix your posts :) Vicki

7. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Thankyou Thankyou everyone! Your post, Vicki, was just the kind of explanation I was looking for. I guess I had absorbed more from y'all than I thought because when I saw CD antitoxin something clicked that I needed that for entero...
    This year is my first kidding w/ registered goats; and this is the year I have a new baby who is less than happy. :( Preparations are going slowly :blush