CD Antitoxin

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Thermopkt, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Not meaning to hijack, but if you give the antitoxin do you have to wait to give then CD&T shots? I did the same thing with my wether, but need to get the shots done before they go to their new home.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If and when I've given C/D Antitoxin...I still keep giving the C/D Toxoid right on schedule. 3,9,16 wks. Then give it pre-kidding as the yearly booster.
    Kaye

3. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

So where do I start if I haven't done it at all yet? The little ones are one month old.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I only use CD ANTITOXIN for suspected entro but have use tetnus antitoxin when disbudding.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If he's a month old...last week at 3 weeks old.
    Just start him like you would anyone else. Give the next shot in 21 days.
    How long are you keeping these wethers before they leave?
    Kaye

6. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I have a bit, they won't be leaving til the end of July. So a series of three shots at three weeks apart? I've just been so behind that I haven't got to the shots. I gave him tetanus antitoxin when I castrated him last week.

7. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

"I only use CD ANTITOXIN for suspected entro"

That's exactly what I do. CD Antitoxin is one of the *key* things to have!

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

CD Antitoxin is one of the *key* things to have!

I have never used it nor purchased it. I think it is an excuse, like floppy kid, for poor management practices. In a vaccinated herd entero is not a problem. Vicki

9. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Okay...I am really confused. I know this was probably explained before but could you please refresh my memory?

Is CD Antitoxin the same thing as CD&T? If so, isn't this a very good prevention item to be giving, or am I mistakened?

:?

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

CD/T is the toxoid and given in a series of 3 for and then boosters for protection
    CD Antitoxin is totally different and used if they have or suspected of having entro.
    Vicki is right in that entro is normally due to poor mangagement. Changing grain or feed etc etc
    BUT I have used it twice due to my just plain stupidity and introducing a new grain cold turkey so yes this is something I always have on hand just in case. even if I never have to use it.

11. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

12. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

UGH! I just looked in the fridge. I had just bought two bottles of, what I thought was CD&T. :crazy It's not!!! It is the antitoxin. Glad I did not use it yet.

:bang

The stuff I was using for CD&T is thankfully the toxiod. :whew

I hope I don't make that same mistake twice.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I hope you don't either. Keep one just to have on hand OH and by the way the CD/T is abt 1/4 th the price :)

14. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Lovely. You just had to tell me that didn't you? :rofl Thanks. Anyone want an extra small bottle of CD Antitoxin? :)

15. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I am the opposite. I always keep CD antitoxin on hand. I even bring it to shows and believe me it has been needed more times that you would think - not so far in my herd but it did save the life of a very ill LakeShore doe at the 2006 Nationals.

I always vaccinate but every once in a while a kid will get entero and thankfully I always have a bottle handy.

Sara

16. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I keep two bottles in my refrig. One for home and one for the road. When you need it...there's nothing that will substitute it and it might mean the difference in a live kid and a dead one. You can't just run to the store and get some. There's only one vet within 100mi. of me that even carries it. I even carry a bottle in my ice chest to shows. Some people never learn to not change the feeding routine or the hay in the next pen is always better.
    Anytime I have a kid standing off in the corner, hunched up (belly pain) and bloated or not...it gets C/D Antitoxin.
    Kaye

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Most vets do not repeat do not carry it. Some tractor supply companies do and you can order from Jeffers

18. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Totally agree with Sara and Kaye. But, just my opinion ;).

19. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I got mine at the local TSC. I did not know it was not readily found. I have no idea what entero is. I guess I'll create a new topic on that.

:shrug