causes of abortion

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Jan 21, 2008.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

What would cause a healthy, young doeling to abort within the first 50 days? My friend called this morning to say her bred doeling had a discharge yesterday and they thought maybe she wasn't bred and coming into heat. Today she had a bloody discharge. She is a healthy, well-fed doeling over 7 months of age. She was bred less than 50 days ago. Only thing that you could say about her is that she may be overweight.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

being hit/butted by another

leading causes for late term abortion are:

Lepto
    Q Fever
    Clymidia

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

By chance, is this the same friend that don't feed alfalfa ?

4. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

No, not the same friend who doesn't feed alfafla. This friend does feed alfalfa and at a balanced cal/phos ratio.

So, in early pregnancy butting can be the cause? Wow. She wondered about that. She has only two does...the doeling and then a coming two year old. The 2 y/o is a little rough on the doeling but I wouldn't have thought her to be that rough. :down

Can they abort only one fetus but still remain bred (with other fetuses?) or will this doeling end up dry this spring? If she lost all fetuses, how long would it be before she cycles again? That is if it were earlier in the season?

Edited..to add: Is it now too late in the season for her to cycle again after aborting?

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

as long as in good health then I would rebred next cycle

6. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I had a FF in 2005 that was butted very hard by her own mother and aborted the day the buyer came to pick her up. I threw in an extra goat to make up for it. I also learned the hard way to separate out the young does from the older does.

My second experience was with Gennie, my big black and white doe that has since been sold. She was about 6 weeks bred but I thought she had come back into heat. I put her with the buck and he chased her til she was panting and groaning. Horrified, I got her out of the pen and she layed down and started pushing. I was a member of the old forum and was told she was probably aborting as she had been stressed and it was very hot. I assumed she was open. She later made an udder and kidded out twins. I often wonder if she aborted just one kid of possible triplets as she did everything like when she labored including not wanting me to leave her side and talking to babies.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And just like in us, some pregnancies/fetus simply can't be supported to the end...I would say most does who have been bred or been with the buck who are dry 5 months later slipped their pregnancies. I think misscarriage amoung human females is 1 in 7 I would say it is about the same in goats.

If she doesn't normally have heats into early Feburary, I would Cidr the doe so she does not go dry and get fatter next year. Vicki