Castrating

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Feb 1, 2008.

1. How high are the chances that a buck couple months under a year would die being castrated? He'd have to be surgically(sp?) castrated obviously since he's too big.

Thanks!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's alot more traumatic to us than it really is to the goat. Being new you get one of my stories :)

Back before Boers hit the US, Nubian's ruled the meat goat classes :) I had kept a buck out of one of my does as a penmate for the new buck I purchased, I was through kidding season and about this time of year when a gal lost her wether for her show, my buck was going to be 13 months the day of the show, little iffy that he would indeed still have his teeth.

She came over and begged me to sell him as a wether, told me if he didn't make the sale she promised to give him back to me...I do not make wether pets..to butcher and my vet came out the next day to castrate him. She put a clamp on his testicles right at his belly, slid open the scrotum, popped out each testicle, scrapped the cords, she then cut off his scrotum about 2 inches from the clamp...all in about 2 minutes. She then released the clamp and started spraying with fural back then it was furox. Sprayed until it stopped bleeding. The buck was dazed and confused and I had my mouth open. Not drugs, no nothing, the whole time I was simply holding his rear leg while he was hooked high to the barn wall. The bleeding went from spraying to dripping to nothing. We stayed there and chatted, she gave him some banamine. I had moved him into an infant kid pen since it was the cleanest area for him in the milkroom. I went out to her truck paid her and honestly in the back of my mind was just aghast once again at the barbarism of some vets!!!!! We both ran back to the barn with all this commotion and racket. Well I might have thought that this procedure was awful, but apparently the buck did not, he was blubbering and hanging over the wall trying to get to a group of unbred yearlings! He never missed a meal.

So no even older bucks do fine with castration, be warned though it is at least 30 days until the testosterone is out of his system enough that he no longer can breed. Vicki

3. Wow Thanks for the story Vicki. I have never seen a buck wethered before, I band my buck kids if they aren't going to remain bucks. I'll call the vets we use and see if that is what they do to wether them. If the only way they wether is to use drugs to sedate him is there a high possibilty that he'll die from it?

4. coso

coso Guest

Thats so sad his lovin days were over and he didn't even know it !!! :biggrin We castrated one at 6 months one time. Dad bought him thinking he would use him to breed then backed out. No problem.

5. Was he castrated the way Vicki's goat was or was he sedated at all?

6. coso

coso Guest

No, He wasn't sedated. I held him down. Just kind of sit on him and held his feet so he would not kick and dad cut him. Sprayed him good and he was fine. I would rather do it now while it is cold, then to wait any later.

7. Thanks!!! Definately will have him wethered before it warms up. Don't want to deal with the flies.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I am not a fan of sedation. When we have our goats teeth looked at etc...I simply give the girls a little more banamine than normal just to take the edge off. With them feeling good, it really is alot less stressfull on them. Just not too much more, or they will not walk! Vicki

9. I am not a fan of sedation either which is why I asked about it because I dont want him to die but I want him wethered. Im glad to know that he can be wethered with out it.

Thanks!!

10. I have banded up to a year and half here. I have one of those bloodless things....can not remember the name on it. Its uses in cattle all the time. All it is really...silicon tubing that you put around it and clamp in on. Most of the time they have not clue that anything happened since its so tight on them.

Talk to your vet and see if they have one of those...or call some cattle guys and see. Its very popular now to leave bulls as bulls till weaning then cut them. Makes them grow faster.

Ken

11. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yep I banded a buck that was over a year old with my cattle bander and he did just fine...its called a Callicrate bander and I bet if you have a cattle person near by they will show you how to use it. I got mine cause of my cattle and didnt want vet bills to do the bull calves so this paid for itself after a few calves. Mason still looked like a buck when everything was off but didnt act like 1. It didnt hurt him at all just kinda sore for a day I think and Banamine took care of that and off he went.

12. coso

coso Guest

I was wondering about that. We have one for our cattle too. I did four jersey bulls last weekend with it. It's a lot easier then cutting I know that. The deed itself doesn't take over 15 seconds.

13. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

I use a Burdizzo and I've heard that can be used on older bucks also. I did an unfortunate search one day and found out that grown HUMANS use it also if they want to be Eunuchs. Did NOT know people still did that---ick.

14. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Beverrlly thats just to twisted for words that humans use that...ewww :crazy Yep if they get to old I use the calf bander on mine.