castile soaps

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Becky-DixieDoesAlpines, Apr 16, 2008.

1. I am going to do a mostly castile soap today....my summer farmer's market will start in a few weeks and I got lots of requests for a castile, or at least mostly olive soap there last year.
    I have 67 ounces of olive, but want to do a 110 ounce batch to fill a martha mold.
    I also have avocado oil, a small amount of cocoa butter, coconut, sunflower, lard. I'd like it be an all veggie. Anyone have a good combo to suggest?
    Also do you think milk, water, or herbal tea?
    And do you find unscented or EO or FO castile soaps sell better?
    Thanks!
    Becky

2. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Bear in mind that castilles take FOREVER to get hard. Once they do they are pretty solid. Because of this I would discount your liquid.
    Castilles are supposed to be all olive by definition. however I think adding a little coconut for bubbles would be good.
    To make the castille more traditional you could just use water. I would do a rosemary or lavender (or both) EO. People love that - blech! But I bet those who really want castille would be into it.

3. Thanks. It won't be a true castille, but I think a mostly olive all veggie bar will do the trick. I think I'm going with 67 oz olive, 32 ounces coconut, and 10 ounces avocado oil. It was scheduled for today but I got busy so tomorrow AM. That will fill a Martha mold, I think I'll do 7 bars unscented and 14 with eo's. I only have a couple folks that ask for it so that should keep them happy for a while :)
    Becky

4. made it today, 7 lbs oils batch w/ olive, avocado, coconut, GM etc. Looks good so far. Also did a 14 lb oil batch.......whew:)

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Betcha it'll be lover-ly after a nice long cure!

Master batches are so nice to make, but it's a lot of oils to mess with! Then when you go to soap it's so very easy! Between that and premade lye solutions soaping is a breeze (well it would be if I didn't have to line molds!!!)

6. lynpea

lynpea Guest

I just did a batches of a "bastille" oo, pko, and castor. I did do a water discount so they were hard pretty fast. They have been curing about 5 weeks now. I tested a small piece and it lathered well and was nice. I will do more. You do need to give it a good long cure...at least 2 months or more. I have read that a water discount helps with the *slimy* feel of the bar that some folks get.

7. Thanks. I dscounted mine way down too. The bars cut beautifully and look so nice and creamy.
    Becky