Carport/Goatbarn Bracing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by whimmididdle, Jan 30, 2008.

1. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

OK.....I've been meaning to do this before now. Here are some pics of how you can simply add some strength to those shelters.........keep in mind that you gain lots of strength with X bracing of any kind. Pay close attention to where the cables are attached....and also that a clamp has to be put in the middle of the X for this to be of gain here. I think that we used 1/4 inch cable here....and should have used at least 2 cable clamps on each cable connection, or the backlash if you will.
    I will try tho check back in on this thread to see if I can help answer any questions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Oh thanks Whim however this isn't going to work in my case because it has to be open for the goats on one end and the other end will be buildt in but would work on the other port I think. Will show it to Rod

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Well the one that you gonna box in will have lots of added support.......this would work well for those that are just being used as an open shed.......even just doing this on one end would be a big plus....this one in the pics took a 55 mile an hour wind gust last night.......and you see that my neighbor don't mind parking that $60,000 truck under it.
    Whim

4. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I am so glad that you posted this! I have been trying to work this out in my head, wondering why a carport like this couldn't be refigured into a goat shelter! I still dont know if we will do it, but at least I am not TOTALLY bonkers to be considering it!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well this is what we have done Katie or LeeAnne who ever posted above and will show you finished pictures when done.

6. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

How close is yours to being finished Sondra? I need to get mine going.....just waiting on the re-fi for $$$$ :)

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Pam ours are T-N-T carports and you can find them online here's a picture of the milk house one going up. it is 18 x 21 ft , with two sides closed in cost was 1269.99 including tax. these went up Monday so nothing has been built in yet. the 2nd one is 12 x 21 ft and is the traditional roundy top one with no sides the cost on it was $640.16 Think the sides on this one would have been another $250 or 300

[attachment deleted by admin]

8. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Did you order yours online Sondra? I have a handy man who'll put it together for me & who's going to do the concrete floor & run water to it.....adds to my cost, but no way I can build it & have it come out right

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

No we went to a dealer here but if you go on line you can find a dealer. Near you haven't a clue what it would cost without installation

10. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

OH- so yours was with it being installed? Cool! I thought that was the price & then you installed it yourself.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes and if I were you I would let your man do the cement slab and let the carport people put it up. But I gues ck prices both ways.