Cargill Right Now Onyx Mineral Calcium/Phosphorus Ratio?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Golden Delta Alpines, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Golden Delta Alpines

Golden Delta Alpines Senior Member

Does anyone know the calcium/phosphorus ratio to this mineral?
    I think I remember reading somewhere that calcium was 11-12% and phosphorus was 10%.
    That seems pretty high, I was just wondering if that's a good mineral or not...

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Hopefully your look at your feeding program as a total mixed ration....with alfalfa or another legume high in calcium as the main stay of the diet. Vicki

3. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

:yeahthat

The bigger portion of your feed is hay and grain(s). Grain is higher in Phos than Ca. Grass hay is, I believe (and probably depending upon the grasses and ratios of grasses) also higher in Phos than Ca. Alfalfa is high in Ca, thus the push to feed either alfalfa hay or pellets on a regular basis and as a mainstay of the diet (a dribbling on a grain ration isn't going to cut it).

4. Golden Delta Alpines

Oh, yes, I do see it as a total mixed ration, I was just wondering if the cal/phos ratio was okay if given free-choice to a goat that eats mainly alfalfa with a little grain.

5. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Yes, because it won't be a large portion of the overall ration.

6. Golden Delta Alpines

Just to clarify, I don't give this mineral to my goats, I give them Sweetlix 16:8 Meat Maker.
    I had just read that some people like this mineral and use it.

I am feeding my goats alfalfa and the milkers are also getting 1lb. of grain.

7. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I use it and like it. I also feed it to our horses. So far, there have been no problems. We feed mostly grass hay, although it's a millet hay that is high in calcium for a grass, along with alfalfa pellets.

8. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I love that mineral...I use it exclusively mixed with kelp amd yeast and the goats eat it up.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Do note what Linda said though.....it is the same thing when someone loves and uses ADM lactation pellets, Purina Goat chows and Nobel goat etc etc etc........I love this___________

But then they add 17 other different things to it, so how much do they really love it :)

Not picking on you Linda just pointing out the obvious. If the mineral was good, if the feed was adequate, they wouldn't have to be adding anything to it, especially in the quantities they are.

10. LaManchaLady

LaManchaLady New Member

I use the Right now mineral and drive nearly 2 hours to pick it up.