can't find ivomec plus

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Oct 8, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

the vets keep telling me there is no liquid ivomec right now, and i was after some ivomec plus--anything else i can use that does the same thing? anywhere i can get it?

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Or Normectrin...same as I+. That just means YOUR vet doesn't have any and why buy it from a vet when it's over the counter? They generally have a double the price mark up.
    Kaye

3. chewie

chewie New Member

thanks! just to keep my info straight, does this wormer have/do anything diff. than the cydectin?

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you sit down on the website or with the catalogs (I love catalog shopping) and order everything you need for the year for your farm...cats, dogs, goats and everything else..in the winter so it gets your vaccinations to you cold...you will save soo much money rather than picking up sundries at the feed store and your vet! You start adding up the $1 to $10 increase of each thing you use from buckets to fly poison to rawhide bones for the dogs, it's alot of money!

If you do not have liverflukes on fecal you do not need to be using ivermectin plus. I would bet everyone up north with cool weather (condition eating worms during the winter could still use Ivermectin)

Cydectin does come out of the family class of Ivermectin but it doesn't carry the resistance that Ivermectin has. Figure Ivermectin has been around as long as I have had goats, the use of it given injected was the cause of the problems we have now. It was given at way to low a dose and the wrong route so the worms not killed were able to give resistance to this product via their eggs. Cydectin and Levamisole products are the last blood sucking warm weather worm killers we have except for the use of cocktails of two classes of wormers used together.

Ivermectin Plus and Valbazen both carry flukecides that kill liverflukes, they both also with plain Ivermectin kill lungworm. Flukecides have problems with the early parts of pregnancy (implantation) and are alot of drug to use if you don't have to. Everything we give goes through the liver of our goats. vicki

5. chewie

chewie New Member

thanks vicki--i think i'll sit down with a catalog myself, and the info on the 101 forum and get a list ready. we live a long ways from much too, so saving on trips also adds up fast. i know there are things i should have on hand 'in case', and the vets here dont' know a thing about goats, so i am on my own. smart to just get it all at once, saves on shipping costs too. never thought about shipping shots while cold outside! of course!