can't figure out what's wrong

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ali923, Sep 9, 2008.

1. ali923

ali923 New Member

I have a 2-yr old milker who freshened in may, she had been making about a gallon a day and eating like a pig-finishing everything on the stand and alf. pellets. About 3 weeks ago, she started not finishing her feed (therefore the milk production went down), I checked her temp. on several occasions and every time between 101 and 102. I checked her eyelids and they were light pink, so I wormed her, thinking that was causing the problem. She did start eating a little more, but not even half. I also gave her nutradrench and b-complex. Sometimes she wouldn't even eat alf. pel., and her production went down to 1 qt a day. I started getting nervous about milk fever because of her not eating, so 2 days ago I started giving her cmpk with b-complex and nutradrench and only in the evenings. Her production is up to 2 qts a day, and eating a little more, but still not like before. Is there something I am missing? Was I going about this the right way? She still grazes, but it just seems like something isn't right. Open to any suggestions.
    thanks so much,
    allison

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

how much cmpk are you giving?? probably not enough and I would cut the nutradrench myself would go with probios /bComplex / and cmpk if you don't know how much to give then pm Kaye and find out. As I think it needs to be injectable but maybe orally is ok if given enough.

3. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

What Sondra said :yeahthat and .....what breed type is your doe as if she is a Boer mix ,it could be normal for her to slow down her milk production . Pale pink gums is not a good thing, so check her gum's again and eye lids. What wormer did you use and how much did you give ? I am in Tx. also and with rain and weather changes my doe's have slightly cut down in milk production also ....your doe could be coming into her heat cycle. How much grazing is she doing and do you have loose minerals and backing soda out ?
    just thinking here.. :/

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What did you worm with? Does it work in your area? IF you wormed with something that doesn't work for HC blood sucking worms than worming her did nothing.

Can you run a fecal? Vicki

5. ali923

ali923 New Member

She is a nubian, I used cydectin 1 cc per 20 lbs, I'm not sure how to do a fecal myself, I havent seen her coming in heat yet (they can go to the fence where the bucks are) and as far as the milk production-yes mine usually cut back but don't stop eating. This morning she ate, but didn't clean her plate. :) I am giving her 50cc cmpk (going by the dose for sheep cause they are about the same size-my doe weighs about 145lbs, 6cc b-complex,and 1.5 oz nutradrench. So, I was doing good giving the cmpk? Oh, and yes there are loose minerals and salt, but I need to put more baking soda out. She is doing plenty of grazing most of the day.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

personally I would cut the nutradrench (molasses)

7. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I know cocci is not normally a problem in older does, but it can be.
    I had a doe do similar a few years ago. She would hardly eat, tried to dry up. Her eyelids were pale.
    I wormed and wormed. I did not do a fecal at that time, I should have. But, the vet we had at that time charges out the wazzoo for it. I am setting up to do it myself now.
    Anyhow, I thought I would treat her for cocci just in case and gave her some Red Cell.
    She turned around quickly and picked up. I sold her that fall and she got her milk star easily on a one day milk test.
    Les

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Exactly correct Leslie, and it's why the first thing you do is fecal, to know if you are dealing with something as simple as needing to be wormed, cocci treated etc..

Sue Reith has a great article up on CMPK and treating hypocalcemia/milk fever, print it out to use so you are using the correct med (injectable and not oral) and also we have the dosages for thiamin/B1 on the forum also in goatkeeping 101...because B complex on it's own is pretty worthless, even the fortefied B complex is a pretty hefty shot to get your mg/kg of B1 up there in our big Nubians.

Nutra Drench is just expensive propolyn glycol with some vitamins and minerals thrown in at super low doses, takes an oucne just to supplement E orally with it. And propolyn glycol actually makes the girls feel worse, nothing makes me feel more like I am heading down the road for death when I am forced to get out the propolyn glycol, probably because it used to be the treatment for ketosis, which we now know none of our goats really had. Vicki

9. ali923

ali923 New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! Last night she almost ate everything on the stand (I cut out the nutradrench, ran out of the stuff anyway, and just gave her b-complex and cmpk) and this morning she finished her food and her production is back up, not at a gallon, but I don't think she'll get back there anyway because she would have slacked off anyway. What I am thinking was that she was wormy, and that is what started the sluggishness and not eating right, and then I wormed her, but because she hadnt been eating right and sometimes not at all, the acid started building in her rumen and then she kept getting worse. Then I started her on all the stuff I told ya'll and that's when she started getting better little by little and now she is eating well and acting normal today. Am I correct in my thinking?