Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my 7 yr old nubian doe has cancer. She freshened in January with big, healthy triplets and was wormed according to protocol. She has since developed a large, hard mass at the base of her neck where the neck meets the chest. It is very hard and is the size of a softball. She has steadily lost weight and is very thin. Although she was my biggest producer, I stopped milking her last month. She will eat some grain if offered, as well as alfalfa pellets. She will eat browse but is reluctant to walk out with the rest of the herd. If I bring it to her, she will eat. She will also eat cookies and donuts. When she is in with the rest of the herd, she stays off to herself and does not come to the feeding trough.

This week I noticed that she had pitting edema below the mass and down into her front legs. Thinking that the mass is impeding her lymphatic system.

What can I do to make her more comfortable? I read about Sue Reith's Bo-Se protocol but have not tried it. I also have banamine but did not want to give it randomly.

·
2,792 Posts
Are you sure it's not CL? I had a cat with an absolutely enormous cancer tumor a few years ago. She got it in the vaccination site between her shoulder blades. I had to drain it to make her comfortable every other day. We finally put her down. It was so sad because she had been blinded as a kitten, then got lost in the woods for a week when we moved. I really loved that cat. Cancer is really rotten but have never seen it in goats. Have you asked a vet about it?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am fairly certain it is not CL. I have never had CL here, and I have had this doe for several years. Also, this is not an abscess but a hard mass.
I had never heard of cancer in goats, but I do not know what else it could be. I have talked to the vets I work with, but they are not really helpful when it comes to the goats.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Lisa and Christian Seger at Blue Heron in Hempstead had a doe with lymphatic cancer a couple of years ago. The cancer was pretty aggressive and the doe was euthanized not too long after she was diagnosed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Caroline, for that info. I am sad to be losing her, I have only had her 2 years. She is out of Saada French Vanilla, and I was hoping to have her around a few more years. She looks very bad with the pitting edema in her chest and front legs. I guess as long as she has an appetite I will let her enjoy a few more sunny days.
Any ideas for palliative care would be appreciated. Right now she is still enjoying her butter cookies and hand picked oak leaves.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Angie, she gave me triplets this year. A stunning black/white spotted doe (for those who love spots, she is amazing), and 2 nice bucklings. I gifted a buckling to a friend and still have the second buckling, and will of course retain the doeling.

I hope to at least be able to have her legacy live on in my herd. Even at her worst, she was/is still my most prolific milker. :(

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
swgoats said:
:( North Tyler Vet is a walk in clinic, and they know something about goats. Not enough I'm afraid, but they try. You might take her in there. That's really weird.
Is that the same as Tyler Emergency Animal Clinic? A friend of mine is the manager there--Sheri Dixon. She has goats, so they may at least be able to give you some ideas on keeping her comfortable.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
The one I went to was North Tyler Veterinary Clinic. They are two old school farm vets. Very affordable prices. Dr. Williams even went out to my house when I was in California cause the neighbor found my horse bleeding through the nose. I liked that I could just show up. Sometimes I had to wait, but it was always exciting to be a fly on the wall there.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-18811930-williams-michael-n-dvm-north-tyler-veterinary-clinic-tyler

Poor thing, I'm glad you got a doeling from her.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The full sister to a doe I had was put down with aggressive cancer, think she was 2 at the time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found a post somewhere on the internet where someone's goat was diagnosed at A&M with lymphoma and was treated with steroids. The vets I work with always say " no animal should die without the benefit of steroids".....so I have decided that before we put her down, I will try using dexamethasone to see if that will put her remission for a while. It gave our 12 year old doxie another 8 months of quality life.
I will treat with high doses of dex, gradually tapering down and will then try oral pred. I will also boost her with Bo-Se. Will see how she does through the weekend. If she does not seem to improve over the weekend, we will let her go. :(

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I once had a Boer cross doe I believe had cancer. She was from a CL free herd and had a lump on her face, over her cheek bone that was hard, not an abcess. She lost alot of weight and I could not get her to gain in spite of worming and a good diet. One night she passed in her sleep. Shortly after that, I went to Convention and spoke with vets familiar with goats. The thought was that it was cancer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts