Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody! My mom was just diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer and starts chemo next Tuesday. We have always consumed our milk and milk products raw. Can she still have the raw milk or should I pasturize?

Thanks,
Marla

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
That's a rough one. I swear by raw, especially since I know where it came from and all. But, chemo kills the immune system, so maybe the raw would not be a good idea? No sense stressing out her immune system more than it already will be.

others may have more informed answers, but this is just my gut feeling. If the patient were me, I'd probably drink it raw. if it were my mother, I would pasteurize it.

Good luck and healing thoughts going to your mom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definitely pasteurize. Chemotherapy will cause significant immune suppression and increased susceptibility to infection, bacterial, viral, fungal and otherwise. For the same reason, chemotherapy patients are advised to avoid sushi and other undercooked seafood and other meats. Clean animals, clean milk but still not worth the risk. Also best wishes to your mom for successful treatment!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'm sorry marla, I know of people fighting this cancer seeking out raw milk, but they may have been seeking unconventional treatment and not getting chemotherapy. Maybe she should wait till after the treatments for raw. There are folks on here who have experience with this maybe they'll chime in .

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ok, I, or I should say my husband, has personal experience with this. He's been battling stage IV colon cancer for the last 3 years. He's currently on round 11 of 12 for chemo this time. When he finishes he will have had 36 rounds of chemo total, and he consumed our raw milk the whole time. With the blessing of our oncologist.

If I understand the situation correctly, then this milk would be consumed from only your own animals. And your mom has been consuming it raw all along. Now, if she hadn't already been using it raw, or you were getting it from another source outside your farm, then I think that I'd have second thoughts. But if her body is already used to it, she should be ok. Disclaimer: I'm not a medical doctor and am not giving a medical opinion. Just my own opinion based on our experience.

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
I have multiple stories, like most folks who sell raw milk, especially when used with kefir...about the benefits. And very honestly finding her a source of marijuana, to not only help her sleep, but keep her eating and it lifts your spirits. I am not talking about smoking until your stoned, well at night that does help, but just a hit now and then during the day. It also manages pain really well. If she can't smoke like I can't, than use it to make brownies etc, less effect but still works well, plus once again she is eating.

Back to milk :) You want the nutrition she can get by drinking raw milk and eating raw veggies etc. It does become a different life when you are diagnosed with a disease like this...I bet Ellie's new book on inflammation would be great. I know going on the inflammation diet she told me about has made me almost asthma free, those who know me know how debilitating my asthma is, I have not used my inhalers once since going on this 'diet' this last summer and by now I would not only be on two inhalers but using my nebulizer and being on steroids until at least May. It certainly, as long as she doesn't have an allergy to milk like I do, can help. I also make my own cottage cheese, and blend it with flax seed oil, it is another part of a cancer diet, that I only use this one part of it. Just google.com cottage cheese and flax seed oil they have utube videos to learn about it with instructions so you aren't having to buy a book. V

·
491 Posts
quick comment on the marijuana stuff - tincture it. Eliminates the smoking issue, no getting "high", just goes straight to the source for pain, etc.
just fyi for testimony sake - I don't use it and don't need it but have a family member who does and the tincture works great without all the negatives associated

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
I used information that Ellie shared with me and the Inflammation Diet by Jack Chalem which is only $2.50 on Amazon. Nice is that other than the info, nobody is selling anything.

This is in Off Topic, from Ellie.......At least to the point where I'd like anyone with interest in this kind of stuff to give feedback. I'm looking for input about clarity, how the transitions are from one subject to another, where is it hard to understand (so I should simplify) organization, and I'll even look at where you think the info is wrong (give sources). And typos, too!!

It's 43 pages, no frills in it yet like table of contents and such, but the basics are there. I can send in Word (docx) so you could use the review function or in a pdf and you could put comments in another document or email.

I'd like 2 or three look-sees if anyone has time and energy for helping. This will be an ebook for sale next month on my new website so time frame is a week or so. Thanks ahead!

Ellie Winslow [email protected]
New Directions--Blog for weightloss and health!
http://oldfatbroadsloseweight.com/ Join us on the adventure!
Goats and marketing still at http://beyondthesidewalk.com

·
Registered
350 Posts
For anyone concerned about health but especially those with serious issues:

ALL DISEASE (including but not limited to cancers) STARTS WITH INFLAMMATION RUN AMOK!!!

The American diet cranks up inflammation till the body is simmering and that causes the start of disease processes. This is not obscure information but it also is not very mainstream yet!

Do your own research, but here are the biggest cultprits (assuming you're not a smoker)
1. High insulin from high egumes of all kinds spike blood sugar and then insulin and then comes chronic inflammation and disease. The American diet is HUGE with grains--mostly wheat--cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch pasta or rice or something equally grainy for dinner--high insulin all day long. No grains or legumes should be eaten...and look at glycemic load of any carbohydrates you eat. Below 10 is acceptable. http://nutritiondata.self.com/ to look up GL.
2. Too much Omega 6 oil (causes inflammation) compared to Omega 3 oils (causes anti-inflammation.) Do not use any vegetable oils and avoid all prepared foods that might have vegetable oils. Cook with olive oil or animal fal
3. Not enough protein. This happens when too much of the diet is carbohydrate that raises insulin (inflammatory). Animal protein and fat do not raise blood sugar or spike insulin. Protein is NOT hard on kidneys, protein reduces oxidative stress.
4. Take extra Omega 3 supplements. If you are sick or in pain, up to 10-12 pills a day (as per Barry Sears research). Take as many antioxidant supplements as you can (Vit C, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Co Q-10, SOD, Vitamin E, Pycnogenol, Lutein Lycopene, there are many...The first 5 I think are the most important.)

What I hear from people I tell this stuff to is:"Well what's left to eat?" Lots. Meat and other protein and any vegetables and a little fruit. I make amazing soups now--meat and veggies and various flavorings. You're only limited by your imagination. Any meal can be a serving of meat and a pile of veggies or salad. I made spaghetti and meat balls the other day, sauce full of veggies goodies, no pasta. I just invented a wheat-free, sugar-free macaroon that's totally yummy for a dessert. I keep coming up with cool stuff that fits. It's different, but it's anti-inflammatory...give your body a chance to heal itself.

Things they're now discovering are inflammatory (well duh, it's all disease processes, but they have to figure each one out) are:
Heart attacks and strokes, depression, anxiety, bipolar, fibromyalgia, auto immune, ms, Alzheimer's, osteoporosis, asthma, migrains, arthritis, SAD, and the list just goes on. Change your diet and you can probably die in your sleep of not anything but old age at 120!

I'd love to hear anyone's success stories who tries the anti-inflammatory diet and lifestyle.

If you're not allergic to milk it isn't inflammatory but I know nothing about chemo issues because I would never choose that for myself, but hey, that's just me...

My book will be available on my new web site within the next month...as an ebook and it will be less than $10...

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Ellie! This might totally explain why I've had a better winter! I had no idea SAD was inflammation related! And I thought it was just my allergies, carpal tunnel, and waistline I was fixing!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Lol, I am always amazed at what anti-inflammatory diet fixes!! Congrats to you Billie! What great news!. My daughter fixed fibro, bipolar and arthritis! I fixed arthritis (major debilitating) and high blood pressure.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I had horrible IBS for about three years. I started eating a similar diet to the one you've mentioned and I got better so quickly. I'm not perfect and I slip up pretty often, but I'm still not having any symptoms. It is amazing that watching what you eat even just a little can improve your health so much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for everyone's input and well wishes. Excellent info Vicki and Ellie! I have already been making out menu's and food lists for my mother and step father who is diabetic. I felt strongly about the raw milk since it is coming from my does, by my own hands and sanitation but wanted to be sure it is the right thing. I can sometimes put my blinders on when we talk about the health benefits of raw milk and diet. I firmly believe that we are killing ourselves with our food choices and consumption. I will do some research on the inflammation diet. Thanks to everyone.

Thanks,
Marla

·
2,792 Posts
For cancer, kefir and komucha are often recommended. Don't know about the sugar used in the kombucha tea. It is supposed to turn into something not like sugar at all through the fermentation process. I'm going to make soap with some of mine....it's very strong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts