Can you test for CAE using colostrum??? other testing ? too...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, Mar 24, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Since CAE is transmitted through the milk it seems to make sense you can test the colostrum to know....

I have three does I need to sell. I am completely starting over with my herd. I am getting 3 of tracey's goats in the coming month and have a brand new pen set up for them so they will not run with my old goats, just in case. 1 was tested negative last year through WSU , the other two where raised on prevention (Mom bought as a bottle kid from a reputable CAE free herd and her daughter who was also a bottle kid) I did not acquire these until November and the previous owner did not test, but practiced prevention. She had to pull the babies from Mom so I know she was there to keep them from nursing, etc. So my plan is to test all three before I sell. If they are positive they will be taken "out behind the garden" because I feel it is not responsible to sell a postive doe to anyone even if they say they won't breed them or they will use prevention, etc.

So they are all preggers. I've read up on testing and am wondering why can't I just wait until they kid and get colustrum and test it? But it looks like WSU says you can't test colustrum- does anyone else?

IF I do the blood I will just do all the testing now. If I can do colostrum I Will wait until they kid. With them being pregnant is it ok to get a them tested for everything (CL, CAE, Johnnes, brucella) all at once? will the results not be as accurate?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Pan Am Lab does colostrum testing addy is in Goat 101 this is what Vicki uses and I will be too this year some buyers require blood testing tho.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You will get soo much more money for them bred, why not blood test and sell them next week? Also I wouldn't be wasting my money testing for Johnnes or Brucilosis, even CL if they haven't had any abscess. Vicki

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I always blood test while they are bred. I test for CAE and Johne's disease. So far from year to year the results have been consistent so I would assume they are accurate. I do know several people who test the colostrum through Pan-Am though...it's easier if you can't draw blood I guess but I like to have current results before the kids are born.

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

We want to keep back a buck to whether as a companion for our new buck so I wanted to keep them until they kidded. But I know I can get whethers for cheaper than I can feed those does until the first week of May! I guess also I can sell stipulating that I get a whether off my Nubian.
    There are people calling for my Nubian right now. She is on my soap labels and people have fallen in love with her. She's not even registered or anything and she is the one with the lumpy udder...I have no idea what to charge bred or not! Now that I've decided to change my logo people are finally looking at it and telling me how gorgeous Capella is - making me think I should keep her again! But I know that I shouldn't. As a FF she didn't do much milk wise last year. And that Lumy udder - no mastitis so I don't know what is up... Betcha she gives trips at least this year though - she is as big as a house (much bigger than last year with her twins from a boer daddy!) where my other two don't even look PG. (I'm actually beginning to second guess thier pregnancy even though they were bred a gazillion times to the buck that bred Capella)
    So if I sell them now - which would save a lot of hassle and give my new herd more room (plus ease up the cash flow when I pay tracy, LOL!)- what do you think I should sell them for? all unregistered. One 3 year old Nubian unregistered bred 2nd freshening, the others are unregistered mixed and bred - Gloria is 5 years old in her 4th freshening, a FABULOUS milker, but with funny curvy teats, french alpine/nubian. her daughter Iris was sired by a Saanen. This is her FF. All the does were bred to a registered La Mancha Buck

6. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Since CAE can be transmitted via milk can the colostrum test be done on milk?

Jolene

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Not in our testing, not enough concentration. We had testings done on colostrum and blood be positive and milk be negative. Heat Treated colostrum that was still testing positive, was what made me and my friends decide against using positive does colostrum or milk in our herd. There was no more concentration in colostrum or blood from does who are positive and symptomatic and those who were positive with no symptoms...that was one test I knew wasn't going to turn out differently, but it didn't. Vicki