Can we talk about lard?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by jimandpj, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Currently my main soap formula uses a significant amount of lard. The people I am selling to love my soap and are not concerned with the fact that it uses lard.

However, I know that there are people out there to whom lard is a huge turnoff.

So - if I were to change my recipe, what is the best way to begin? Can you simply substitute palm oil for all the lard? What changes does that produce in the soap?

I know I'm going to have to experiment some (not trying to skip that step). I just won't have time for experimenting until after the holidays and would love to hear from you more experienced soapers before I begin.

Thanks!
    PJ

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Go to soapcalc.com and plug in your current recipe, then try subbing different hard oils/butters for the lard and see what you come up with. Try to get three variations to test that way you have a better understanding of how different formulas affect the outcome of the final product.

Christy

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

always use your soapcalc.com but I did find that using crisco in place of lard works almost as well and then you have an all veggie bar.

4. I played with the soapcalc and found a great mix of shortening (soybean) and lard. Makes a really nice bar. Tammy

5. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Thanks for the link. I've always just used thesage.com

Here's what you get:

Lard Palm
    Hardness 42 50
    Cleansing 1 1
    Condition 52 49
    Bubbly lath. 1 1
    Creamy lath. 41 49
    Iodine 57 53
    INS 139 145

A few questions:
    What is INS?
    What does Iodine affect?

It seems based on this, that all you really lose in switching to palm oil is a tiny bit of conditioning. Am I reading this right?

PJ

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Gosh, I just hate palm. I've totally stopped buying it and now use shea butter in place of lard in my veggie bars.

Even though the numbers say not too much conditioning value is lost subbing palm for lard, in my particular recipe I found the actual difference to be significant. But I love my lard soap!

7. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Your cleansing and bubbly lather values are only 1? You might want to try some coconut oil in your recipe.

Christy

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

PJ put in a tried and ture recipe like the Wallmart recipe either with the original sunflower or salflower oils. Now tweak your recipe to fit those numbers. Are you able to improve it? Do you love the bar...there is your recipe. Vicki

9. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Christy - no, that's not my recipe. :D That's just the values for lard and palm as individual oils.

Kids - I love my lard soap too! I don't really want to change it, but I've got a couple of opportunities that I know don't really want the lard...

Vicki - ok. That makes sense.

But I still don't know what INS is or what iodine affects?!?

PJ

10. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Iodine - As a general rule, the lower the number, the harder the bar and the less the conditioning qualities and vice versa. Definition: number of grams of iodine that will react with the double bonds in 100 grams of fats or oils.

INS - A measure of the physical qualities of the soap based on the SAP and iodine value. Experience has proven a range of 145 - 165 will gennerally be acceptable. Closely related to Hardness and Iodine values.

Instead of just running each oil through the calc you should run your whole recipe with each oil.

Christy

11. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

OK - thanks!

Next time I'll put it through as the whole recipe. :)

PJ