can this vaccine be used?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by sunnygrl_ks, Jul 20, 2008.

1. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

I sent my hubby to pick up some vaccine to redo the kids.. and he brought home the wrong one :/.... I don't think the store would take it back.. and I don't blame them, but could I go ahead and use this on the goats?...It doesn't have tetnus, but that is easily taken care of with separate vaccination.

here is what he got.. I looked up most of them to see what it was couldn't find all of them so wasn't sure what it was vaccinating against.

Bar-Vac 8

Offers broad protection against blackleg, malignant edema, novyi, sordellii, overeating disease, enterotoxemia and bacillary hemoglobinura or redwater disease. Dosage; cattle 5ml, sheep 2.5 ml SQ. Repeat in 21-28 days and once annually. Do not vaccinate 21 days prior to slaughter.

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

If it's been refrigerated and unopened, you could call to see if they would take it back. I personally think that it contains a lot of stuff in it that goats don't need (like blackleg) and I'd be concerned that it would do some damage to their liver.
    JMHO..

3. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

blackleg isn't something that needs to be vaccinated against? I had done a search and black leg was something goats came down with, but we had never vaccinated for it before. Is it something that goats get very rarely and the vaccine does more harm than good?

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I guess I've just never heard of blackleg in goats. I know they vaccinate cows around here for it.. :/
    Maybe someone else knows better?? but I haven't heard of some of the other stuff either, like 'redwater disease' or 'novyi'... hopefully someone else will offer better advice.

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Well, now I'm curious to see what everyone else has to say!

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Since it would make me madder than a hornets nest to find out they take this vaccine back :) they don't know if you kept it cold or not, and if someone else purchased it, it may not work....but I digress :)

If money is tight and you can't afford to ditch this, than use it. It is similar to Covexin 8. It won't hurt anything to use it, it's just overkill. I don't recommend moving to more clostridium vaccines unless you have been diagnosed with malignant edmea/grangrenous mastitis, which is a gas (blackleg) clostridium also....

The clostridiums you need are CD&T...so using a vaccine like this you are actually diulting the amount you are getting because it's more broadspectrum.

Kaye has had problems with entero...or was it tetanus...anyway so instead of using CD&T...three clostridiums in one vaccines she uses the staright C&D toxoid and then gives Tetanus Toxoid on it's own. This gives you more drug, more stimulating of immunity. Now if redwool was a problem in your area, and you also have sheep with your goats than sure use the vaccine.

So use this stuff up and then next time order your own vaccine from jeffers during this winter, so you have all you need for next year and you don't have to pick it up or have it shipped in our heat...warm and you should throw it away. vicki

7. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

thanks vicki.... i hated to waste it if it could be used. But believe me, hubby now knows that he HAS to pay attention when picking stuff like this up....it's not like sending him to the grocery store for cheddar cheese and having him come home with veelveta.... :nooo

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol I use the tetanus seperate because this place has horses out the wazzoo everywhere on it. Horses are known carriers of tetanus. I want the most coverage against it...so I use the tetanus toxoid seperate from the C/D vaccine. IF I was ever diagnosed with one of the vaccines included in the 6-7-8- way vaccines then I would use the multidose stuff. Since I haven't then I stick with the basics.
    Kaye