Can this ear be fixed?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

He's about 5 hours old and the ear has not righted itself. A big surprise as the mother and his twin sister (as well as last years kids) have tiny, very upright ears, and dad has very normal ears. Both are alpine. I know I've seen this discussed on here before, and was wondering what some of your ideas are. Does taping really work?
    Thanks,
    Anita
    [​IMG]

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I only fix Nubian ears obviously...but I don't even wait 5 hours to cardboard and tape/staple ears, and yes it works really really well. I want perfect ears so I do alot of cosmetic fixes that to others, they wouldn't bother with. But you can't show or sell as registered this kid with this ear, so fix it. I just make cardboard cut outs of what the ear shape should be and staple the cardboard cut outs with the ear inside, ear and cardboard sandwich. In a twisted ear cartilage like this, put a few staples in the actual cartilage to hold the cardboard together...in dogs they would take a leather punch to this cartilage to break/fix it, then the cardboard holds the ear in the place while it is held in the correct position. Vicki

3. Anita Martin

To get them to stand up straight, do I need to tape them together? Also, how long before I would undo the ears?
    Thanks,
    Anita

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I keep my cardboard on for 2 or 3 days at least, most of the time it's about the kids gets them off in 2 or 3 days. I don't use tape, it never sticks, it's an act of futility here with my dog licking at them. Vicki

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

This is a standard sized Alpine, right? If it is...leave it alone, it will stand up on it's on in a few days.

Since I do so much inducing, ears down on Toggs, Obies, and even the Saanens is quite common. I'd venture to say that about 80% have weak ears. I give 1/4cc of Bo-Se at birth. Leave them alone and in a few days they stand up. I've has some that took as long as a week but they evenutally stand.
    I always attributed it to the inducing...<shrug> not real explaination, I just know I've yet to have a kid's ears droop permanently and have had lots with ears drooping.

Some even droop after I tattoo. I dont' bother them and they stand.
    Kaye

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Put the staple gun away! :rofl

Oh man, that still makes me cringe when you talk about stapling ears Vicki! :)

Sara

7. Kaye is right. Alpine kids bron early usually have floppy ears. About the time they are due the ear will right itself.
    I never do anything.

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Saanens too, in fact I had to look twice at the sable doeling I thought maybe it was a snubian, with its floppy ears and color but no just normal limp ears of a new baby swiss breed. the next ones out were just as floppy.

9. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Yep, perfectly normal on an Alpine. It WILL correct itself. I've never yet had one that didn't.

Tracy

10. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Ditto. I've had a couple do this and they straighten up in a few days.

11. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Ditto both qoutes. Had a buckling born with floppy ears which turned into perfect little Alpine ears... Sadly those ears never saved him from the bander! ;)

12. Anita Martin

Well luckily, I couldn't find any staples! I tried to put the cardboard on, but it seemed to be making the ear just droop lower, so I took it off, (I had just used tape). I'm glad to hear this is normal, and will just wait for them to pop back up.
    Thanks
    Anita

13. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Oh, I had a little doeling who did this, it was the cutest thing and made her look like a little puppy dog. Like everyone else has said, it corrects itself. I knew her ear needed to be erect, but to tell you the truth i was rather sorry to see it go. :) But it does.

14. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

We had a buckling one year we called Dopey because he looked so ridiculous! His Dumbo ears stood up finally - it took a bit - and he went on to be a herd sire with another breeder :)

Tracy

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl Wait till you pay $100/straw for semen, doe kids and the kids you so desperately wanted both have lower than airplane ears!? <shock> 1st thought...OMG, that was NUBIAN semen in that straw?! Then the lightbulb comes on...duh, you induced her, it's normal! :blush All 4 ears are standing up by day 2. WHEW! but that nagging thought was there! :lol

LOL...I'm glad you couldn't find the stapler, until you read our threads about the swiss breeds! Poor baby.
    Kaye

16. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I know on dogs they will put dixie cups on their heads and tap the ears to it. Can you imagine lol. It really takes from the whole intimidating-doberman-pincher look.

17. Anita Martin

Actually, to tell the truth, I seriously doubt I could have stapled this little guys ear, even if I could have found the staples. It's just not that important as he will be a wether. I've got a couple people who want nicely colored, people-oriented goats for hiking. Don't know what they'd think about the ear, but if it stayed floppy, I was thinking he wouldn't look nearly as masculine and tough. It's day #3 and it is still dropping. I taped it for 24 hours, and that did nothing, so however it ends up now is how it will end up. I'm so happy to hear so many folks with a similar ear senario that turned out well. Today my gelding decided to take a walk across the frozen pond, with disasterous results. I came home to find him shivering in the cold, windy weather, covered with blood and cuts. .Big guy is okay, but cut up pretty bad. I blanketed him with a polar fleece liner and a dry blanket, plus fuzzy leg wraps and let him stand under a heat lamp for about 2 hours. .....No time to worry about little buck ears...kinda of seems unimportant now.