Can someone explain appraisals to me?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Kalne, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Why is it done, how, and what is the cost? Do you have it done every year for each animal?

I'm assuming it raises the value of your stock. But this is something we go back and forth over. We do not show and do not intend to show. That's just not us and frankly *I* would end up doing all the running and I dislike doing that sort of thing. I'm a homebody. LOL

Most people who buy goats from us around here don't care much about anything just that they are getting a healthy animal that can be bred or used for milking or that can eat brush for them, or be eaten too. If you improve your herd to the point that your animals are more valuable than the average goat how do you find buyers willing to pay their worth?

Kalne

2. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

Hi Kathy --

LA gives you an unbiased, experienced opinion on your animals. It is far too easy to become "barn blind" and not really see what is in front of you. If you want to improve on what you have, it's an invaluable tool.

The cost -- if you have a private appraisal -- is a minimum cost of $225. The first 1-25 adult animals are $8.50 each, and youngstock is $6.50. You can haul them to someone else's stop if you want, and not have to make up the minimum fee.....I figure with the price of gas, it's just as well to do them at home if possible...plus they'll look better not being hauled.

Honestly, with better animals, your customers come from the Internet --and quite often, other breeders who want the bloodlines you have. I have never sold many animals locally at any rate -- my "culls" generally have always gone to the dairy in the past.

Tracy

3. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Thanks, Tracy. We've been talking goats here all morning. :) What sort of dairy buys your culls? Our first year we ended up bringing a few unsold bucklings to the sale barn and did well. The following year we took a couple along with a doe and they went for so little we said we'd never do it again even if it meant giving them away. Since then we've been able to sell everything from here, fortunately. But we're pretty low on prices. I just worry about having more than we can find homes for and if their value is more than avg. that will be harder to swallow. But I'm digressing from the topic now, aren't I? Thanks for the info.

Kathy

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

" I'm assuming it raises the value of your stock." K.

This statement could be true if your animals appraise with good scores.

5. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Yes, I understand that now. :)

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Linear appraisal is especially helpful to people who choose not to show their goats. I have one friend who raises beautiful Nubians and used to show them. Due to a combination of things including health problems and finding people to care for her goats when she travels, she has stopped showing and turned to LA. It's also helpful to have those records when planning breedings. As for being able to get good money for your goats, LA is helpful, but so is marketing. Showing your goats is a good way to market what you have - especially if you go to Nationals. The breeders I see being able to get high prices for their animals market very well. They show and also have beautiful websites.

7. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

What do all those Numbers mean? I was reading about some of Tracey's does and it was total greek!

Bethany