Can one doe have babies from two bucks at the same time?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Help' started by Mammieshute, Jan 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mammieshute

Mammieshute New Member

I have five does and two bucks. All five does bred with both bucks before I built my buck pen. Two had babies that look like each buck in the same litter. In other words, can a doe have twins or triplets and each have a different daddy? The does are Alpine and one buck is Alpine and one is Boer. Very different breed looks, so I feel like the twins have different daddy's. I know this is a crazy question, but please help me stop wondering. lol Thank you for any help.

2. At worlds end

At worlds end New Member

Yes it can happen but it's rare.

3. Mammieshute

Mammieshute New Member

Thank you. They're all seperated now. I'll have control over breeding next year. We're going to have Alpine and Boer, but not mix the breeds again. Lol

4. ak_sundog

ak_sundog New Member

[QUOTE=... can a doe have twins or triplets and each have a different daddy?

5. ak_sundog

ak_sundog New Member

She certainly can. Given your situation, it's more likely than not. A few years ago we had a pair of bucks sharing a fenceline (cattle panels with 6" x 8" holes) with our doe pen. One doe that we didn't have any record of breeding on started to look rather pregnant, and preg test confirmed it. She had a pair of doelings, and we sent in samples for DNA testing so we could accurately register them. It was surprising enough that she could have managed a fenceline breeding at all, but doubly astounding when results came back, and we realized she had figured out the logistics with not one but both of the bucks. Acckkk... I can't even imagine the contortions required to make that happen. :eek:o_O:confused:

6. Mammieshute

Mammieshute New Member

Aren't animals amazing? Out of four kiddings we've had this year, three have kids that look like each of the bucks we have. We have three sets of twins and one set of triplets. One more mama to deliver. Two does have babies that look like each buck. That won't happen again for us. lol We are going to get a Boer doe to go with out Boer buck and breed meat goats. The Alpines for milk. I have the gentlemen on the opposite side, away from the ladies, so I can control things from now on....unless we have a jailbreak. Thanks for the responses guys. It's nice to talk about "my babies" without feeling like the only crazy farm lady. ;)