Can I/Should I mix different aged kids for play time?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Do you think it would be safe for me to put my 9 day old in with the 5-6 week old kids for play time. He is stuck in a small area with his dam and I want him to run a little. My gut says "might be a bad idea", but I have no idea. He is fiesty and quick so....What do you think?

-Kim

2. I wouldn't...kids can hit pretty hard. Plus he will eat grass etc and pik up any coccidia or whatever from them. If you can wiat till 3 weeks he'll do better. You might let him out on the lawn and oversee him for a few minutes while he runs about.
    Becky

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks Becky. I appreciate it.

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I do mix kids of different ages...depends how feisty they are. I had one that was still too babyish at two weeks, another that was butting heads with a 6 week old at 5 days. Really depends. It would be ideal to seperate age groups but I only have one kid pen so they all go together...youngest born March 31 and oldest born Feb. 17.

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you Beth. That is something to consider. My little one is very fiesty.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I don't either. The older kids are on cocci prevention the younger kids don't even get to see the older kids until they are through with their first 5 day treatment.

Especially 9 days old with 5 week olds. Vicki

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

NOPE my youngins stay inside or with me in the yard until at least 3 wks old

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Sounds like a good practice.

Thanks everyone. I did end up bringing both buckling and his dam out into the sunshine for about 15 minutes. I was with them the whole time. Felt like they need the sun. They are back inside now.

9. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Although ideally it is better to keep kids with their own age group, like Beth, I have only one kid pen. I have my March and April kids together in the baby pen. The older ones were bossy at first, but didn't hurt the younger ones and now they get along, though they usually prefer to hang out with their own age group. I don't put newborns in with the older kids. They spend about the first week or so in the house. After that, I feel they need to be outside to thrive. They really can't run and play in rough totes or playpens. I was worried about putting my kid with the respiritory problem in the outdoor pen, but she actually started doing better with the combination of antibiotics, fresh air and exercise and is now a healthy kid. Mine are fed bottles. If I were to do the lambar, I'd feed the two age groups separately. Kathie

10. Pairaka

Pairaka Guest

I have one goat pen. In it I have all my does and all my kids. That includes the kids born in January, the ones born in March and two that were born last week and are 8 days old today. I did keep the doe who kidded last week separated for a couple of days and then moved her from the "delivery pen" to the "maternity ward" (pen right beside it, just fenced off and is gated from the rest of the doe pen and where we put the kids from the does I'm milking at night). The kids kept going back through the cattle panel fence to the delivery pen side. :) Their dam brought them out into the main pen the next day so she could be with the main herd and they've been doing fine. (She's the one that bit me for telling her about putting the bucks back.) She's a good momma and keeps the other kids from getting too rough with her girls.

But then again, I've got a small number of kids (2 Jan kids; 4 Mar kids; 2 Apr kids) and there is lots of space for them to spread out and roam and get out of each other's way. And I've watched the older kids playing with the younger ones and they've been very gentle. It's cute to watch them. The two little Boer/Nubian bucks will butt each other kind of hard, but the older wether will pull his punches. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I don't have a problem with cocci, either, so it doesn't seem to matter them all being in together.

11. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks Wendy. Sounds like it is a good idea to keep dams with kids. Adult supervision. :lol I like it.

12. MBKTown

MBKTown Guest

My problem is that I only have one baby. And she is getting UPSET about having to go in a dog pen every day. I have two wethers and a doe that are almost a year old and they would beat her up. We've started going on walks in the evening so she gets some run around time and some interaction with the big guys. How old do you think she needs to be before I can toss her in with the others?
    MB

13. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

MB- How old is the doeling?

-Kim

14. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I don't have separate pens for everybody, the adults are in the main barn, and the kids are separated by a cattle panel. I have two 3month old kids living with the adults and the rest, 1-4 week old kids in the other pen. My month old doeling, my beautiful Twister from Vicki, is great with the younger kids. I do take everybody for walks out into the main pasture so that they all get a chance to meet and play with supervision. Eventually, they will be accustomed to each other and can stay together.
    It works here.. :)

15. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks Stacy. I like the idea of the socializing and my doe and her now 10 day old buckling do need the sunshine.

16. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Is this a dam raised kid? If he's with his mom, then she will keep the other kids from being to aggressive, but then you'll still want to monitor the situation, to make sure that she's not too overprotective of her kid and hurts the others just because they're around. :?

17. MBKTown

MBKTown Guest

She is 2 months old.

18. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

From what I have heard you can put her in with the others with constant supervision to start, so the others won't hurt her. If all get along...well...I'll let someone else answer that as I am too new to say. My gut says it would be fine, but I don't know for sure.

-Kim

19. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Nope, don't mix age groups here, either. Usually have 3-4 to a pen. Depends on what month they are born. It doesn't take a large pen for kids, when they are under a month old. I have 5 pens and runs under a 12x14 shed. My kids usually stay in the small pens until they are big enough to not go through cattle panels. Then I have 4- 20'x36' pens outside. They are moved to these pens at about 5-6 weeks old and stay in their respective pens until they are bred. Each pen has a house to sleep in, hay feeders and self feeder hung on their fences.

When all in that pen are bred, then I will turn them with the milkers....when you turn 3-4 jr.s in at the same time the milkers give up on trying to butt them. Overwhelmed with juveniles. ;)
    Kaye