Can I mix..

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stacy adams, Feb 1, 2008.

1. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Ivomec plus with some tea? I know it's a "duh" question, but I'm having brain issues.. :/
    One of my does is coughing with a weird weazing-squeaky sound. Never heard anything like it before. I was wanting to give her the Ivomec + to combat lungworm if thats what it is, & some Mullein tea to help with the coughing.. I was also thinking pneumonia (?) at some point, but couldn't figure how she would have gotten that.
    :help2

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

well, I gave it to her anyway, figured it couldn't hurt. We'll see. :/

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Most of the invermectin is absorbed into the blood stream via the mucous membranes of the mouth, so no biggy giving her tea. I am not a huge mixer of anything, preferring to do one after the other so I know they got both.

Pnemonia, pasteurella, is in the nasal passages of every single goat on this forum. It takes a stress, to much humidity, ammonia buildup in the barn down at their level, something super scarry even to make the bug grow to the level it causes pnemonia.

Goats with super good immunity would just have a runny nose with a huge load, others would be down for the count with a lower load.

It's all about immunity and how the doe handles the stress that is causing the overgrowth of...pasteurella, staph, worms, cocci etc...sound familiar? V

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Thanks Vicki..!
    I thought ammonia buildup, since I wasn't able to clean the barn for a whole week while I was gone and it was a bit stinky, but while the barn's been wet & smelly before ( i really need that roof fixed!) I've never heard coughing like this.
    She didn't like the tea at all. she is such a pill when it comes to drenching! She is eating & drinking, but I can tell she doesn't feel well. If it was lungworm, how long would it be before I would see any affect of the wormer?

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Hmmm, I have no idea! It's coughed from one goat to the other, so why it's usually a herd wide problem, brought in from one goat...but no idea if it is out of the system and through working in 12 hours like wormers or blood stream 21 days? vicki

6. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Update.. my DH noticed last night that she wasn't coughing as much as she was.. and the sound is changing (when she does cough) to a more normal (not squeaky) sound. She's been standing around a lot and is not interested in the grain. Eating hay, will eat CalfMana, cookies & she is drinking. I guess I need to take her temp.. why I thought about this just now :duh I'll never know.