Can BOSS cause bloat?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Wendy Tinney, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

This morning I went out and a goat had stuck her head through the gate, ripped the lid off (which I have to really work to get off), and helped herself to the BOSS. Didn't think it was that much, but she didn't eat this evening. Should I jump on treating for grain bloat like Sue Reith explains, or is BOSS not the same thing? :help

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's hard to say. I would think no, as you go out tommorrow and she is dead. I always treat grain overload aggressively because you have such a small window of time in which treatment will work.

She of course should not need to eat, and certainly do not give her any grain, grass hay only. It's alot of oil, and she needs to rebuild her rumen bugs who were smothered in the oil.

Bo-se, probiotics, kefir if you use it, and really take it easy getting her back onto grain. vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

How is she this AM?? I would say yes to possible bloat etc. over eating anything would not be a good thing. Hopefully she is OK

4. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Thanks for the replies! All is well this morning!!! I encouraged her baking soda intake, and her stomach is normal this morning. So glad I waited on an answer. Can you imagine me pouring more oil down her throat with all the oil the BOSS had created? Didn't think about it creating oil. Just couldn't imagine BOSS fermenting, but didn't know how to deal with it. Thanks again!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Glad she is ok.