Can a goat bloat from hay?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jimandpj, Jun 24, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

My farmer dropped a new round bale of grass hay in our pasture this afternoon. When I went out to milk this evening, one of my does was HUGE! I've never seen a goat bloat before, but this is what I've always imagined it would look like it.

She jumped on the milk stand fine, ate her grain fine (although I didn't let her finish it), and is acting perfectly fine.

I gave her some baking soda. They are on free choice alfalfa pellets and occasional grass hay (had some this morning). Free access to weedy, grass pasture.

So - do I have to worry about her bloating and check on her tonight? Can a goat actually bloat from grass hay - or did she just over indulge and will be fine?

Thanks!
    PJ

2. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Just checked on Molly, and she's fine. Still curious, though - can a goat bloat from hay?

PJ

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

The only bloat I have seen in goats with hay is when alfafa is really green and very new bales and very fresh. and Yep they overate on it...not mine but a friends did it. I dont like fresh hot hay...I like fresh hay but will let it age some and cool. But I think you are right they just got busy with it.

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

They can bloat from alfalfa hay that hasn't cured for 30 days because the nitrogen in it is too high. Grass hay shouldn't cause bloating. Since your goats are already used to eating grass hay and pasture, I wouldn't be too concerned. Kathie

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sure, clover, oathay, peanut hay, all legume hays....hay that is damp, any changes can cause a doe to bloat. Bloat can be true impaction, bloat can also be frothy bloat where the body simply builds up acids....or worse is gas bloat, where something usually grain sets up gas formation in the rumen. Putting a whole round bale out with complete acess to it when they were before just getting "and occasional grass hay" is still a change. Vicki

6. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

ok - good to know - will add that to the memory banks!

PJ

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

But you could just be seeing a full working rumen and not bloat. But yes Vicki is right