calf tables or other restraints

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Sep 4, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I thought I had posted this before, but can't find it now. Kaye mentioned a calf table (can't find any info on those.) I need someway to restrain my bucks. Not been handled enough to be cooperative like the does. Safer because they give me space, but not so nice when I do need to work with them. Necks are so thick that collars slip right off their heads so clipping them to a fence doesn't work. :crazy Don't fit in the milk stand for the same reason. I've been dreaming up a hoist swing that could lift them off the ground so they couldn't go anywhere.
    Pics, links, or descriptions of homemade equipment would be great!
    Thanks.

2. shawhee

shawhee Member

I would say a calf squeeze chute - but um they are expensive. Here in TX a dilapidated one goes for $200.00 other than that I am not sure.

Shawna

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I think Sondra was talking about those tables that flip the goat on it's side, to trim hooves and such.. I've used a portable Llama shute with great success. It's sort of like a stanction, but on the floor with side rails and the bottom is expanded metal that they stand on and their weight keeps them from moving it..
    I hope I made sense.. my DH is listening to the "game" and my brain is shorting out!

4. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Yes, what's the professional terminology for those flip on their side tables?

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

6. shawhee

shawhee Member

Yes tilt tables. They trim draft horses like this on farms in Canada.

7. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Kaye is the one that has a calf chute or tilt table

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol My calf/tilt table came from a farm auction and cost $45! Only reason I have one! It's small enough to work a large doe or buck. Goat is lead into chute, head put through squeeze, lever pull and the sides close up on the goat, then another lever turns the bottom up to lay them on their side. They are still able to kick and move feet...so you still have to hold the foot and trim or grind.

So far it's just easier for me to do feet on the milk stand and the bucks are gentle enough to do clipped to the fence.

It's like a lot of other crap (oh, fine merchandise,according to DH) around here...it's in the far pasture waiting to be put into use.(and too darn far away to walk goats to) I just use DH for a squeeze chute when I have to do anything to the baby calves or goats.
    IMO...not worth going out and buying one at new prices. Maybe at a farm auction.
    Kaye

10. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Maybe I should come buy yours! LOL Whew, priced the new ones and that won't be going in the budget anytime soon!!! DH has been helping me and we'll just have to keep doing it that way. OR he can build me something...hmmm

11. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I have a calf table also and have only used it 1 time...its on a trailor and its a Preifert. More trouble than its worth but have it just in case and its set in the barn for 6 yrs. Yep we bought it new also...I hate to haul it out when I have Nigis and LaManchas. Like Kaye said its easier to use the milk stand. I think this would be Great if I raised Boers but ..... I have tried to sell mine a few mths ago but that dont look like its going to happen...Good luck

12. shawhee

shawhee Member

You know that is not a bad idea, having your hubby build one. I trim mine but dont have that many. I could see a handy person building one - heck alot of you guys have built your own stands. I bought one my nieghbor didnt use anymore. If you built it like a stand with the head gate on it, but with sides that squeeze in and lock. Then have it on an axis that could tilt, and have the floor that comes undone and drops down so that you can work. Then when you are done, up goes the bottom/floor; swing them rightside up and undo the head gate. Great idea.