Calcium gluconate

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Can this be used for milk fever in goats its narketed for cows ,. If so how much would the goat dosage be ?

Thanks

Patty

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've used it in a pinch before I could get to the vet for Norcalciphos. I gave 30 cc. It helped save the doe, but I prefer the RX stuff for the correct mineral balance and also it's easier on the doe's hide. Kathie

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Ok to continue my thought process...I know calcium gluconate is easy to find. I know its not a complete mix like cmpk but there have been alot of post on other sites with problems and am wondering if it can help until proper meds are found ?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would suggest they use Sue Reith's homemade cmpk which all can be found in a health food store and sometimes in a drug store. so that they get the balance.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Patty I pm'd you but think either it didn't go at all or you got it 3 times. let me know please as I was getting an internal server error.
    Sondra

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Got the same error trying to reply to you . Go figure silly computers

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Patty,
    The oral CMPK is right beside the calcium gluconate in the feed stores. I'd much rather suggest it's use or Sue's formula, than the straight calcium. Without the other ingredients it throws the system out of whack and the other 3 are needed to balance the metabolism out. Also the warning on the bottle doesn't stress the importance of monitoring the heart rate when giving the gluconate.
    Kaye