CAE testing ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Aug 19, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I've been using Pan am for testing, but now after hearing people get false positives, i'm worried about that, as well as worried about false negatives.

So my question is this - i know WSU is a good lab to get the most accurate results, but i was wondering about BioTracking ? Do they use the same type of testing as WSU ? Anybody know if i could use BioTracking with comfort ? I'd like to give them my business ( as well as get preg. tests done ), and in turn they also appear to be cheaper.

Thanks !

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I am sticking with Pan Am and if I get a pos will dbl ck with 2 other labs and tests
    except when I am sending off for pg test anyway

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I highly recommend Bio Tracking for CAE tests. They are cheaper than WSU and they also give titer levels. I've been very pleased with them.

Sara

4. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I have tried calling pan am at least 5 times to discuss the bad results ...the phone is always busy . I know of 3 more goats from the herd I bought my new girls from who tested neg at cornell.

I truely 100% believe I got bad results from pan am . If I jumped the gun I would have had 6 dead goats and have been out 2000.00 because of it . With that said I had always been happy with them before this.

Patty

5. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I guess i'm more concerned about getting false negatives, if i get positives i will test at other labs to be sure, then cull if needed. I do like Pan Am's prices and service, i've never tried calling but always get my emails answered right away.

i'd also like to give Bio-tracking more CAE business, and get titer levels, but just want to go with a place that has the most accurate results, and is affordable. I don't want to think my herd is CAE neg. due to false negatives, if they are positive i want to know so i can get rid of it.

Thanks ladies :+)

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

If I got false positives I guess I could get fale negs also.

Patty

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

There is only one Elissa test from France used in all labs for human HIV and AIDS etc...and CAE and mycoplasma etc. in goats and are ran at PAVL and Bio Tracking and UC Davis. WSU made up their own part to the Elissa test so you can not double check what they do with another lab. This is why pressuring WSU to go back to giving us titers become so important it is the only part of their test you can double check. Vicki

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Vicki , thanks for the info.

Patty

9. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

We plan to use Biotracking this year. Great service for preggers tests and all.

We have been negative with both the dairy and Boers for so many years that negatives are mostly just confirmation/reassurance and I'll know if a positive just doesn't make sense. Looking forward to titer levels.

Camille

10. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Well, i tested my herd with Pan am ( 2 times so far ), all neg. - which i was very happy about.

However, this year, i bought kids from outside farms ( 2 different farms ) under the impression of them being CAE and CL TESTED neg. - i got my kids home in May - in June/July i find out that one of the herds is not a tested neg. herd - and they have had/may still have positive animals before - but they haven't whole - herd tested in MANY years !!! They have only tested when asked or needed ( such as for certain sales ). They do however raise on a strict CAE prevention, but do pool their milk, they just heat-treat/pasteurize and pull kids right away.They did say they haven't had any sypmtoms in many years as well. Well, had i known this ( lesson learned - i should have drilled the questions before buying, but it's a well respected herd ), i wouldn't have bought from them, but now i have these two kids here already, and am waiting till fall to test my whole herd and them again,as by then they will be 6 moths old.

So i really want to know if they come back neg., that they are indeed - i will test a couple times before i belive it, but i don't want to think they are neg. if they are really positive.

I think i might give BioTracking a try, and then maybe still send another test to Pan am - what do you all think about that plan ? Also, when looking on the Bio Tracking website - it looks like they only charge $4 per CAE test ? Anybody know if there are other fees - or if 10 goats would only be $40 ?

Thanks !