Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I called our local vet today for a price on CAE testing. He wants $70/head!! I was anticipating $10/head. Yoinks! That is insane! I would like to try drawing the blood and submitting it myself. Can anyone give me some guidance as to where I can submit it?

Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,497 Posts
I am sure you could also use area labs that test Elissa. The pulling blood site is still up on goatkeeping 101, if you did it one time you would feel stupid for thinking it is difficult! Especially if you have help like she does with someone holding their head straight up like that. Just go out and try, not even expecting to save the blood, so you can see for yourself just how easy it is. Shave the neck if they are super hairy for your first couple of draws. $70 each is usery plain and simple, I would ask him why and never use him again. Especially when it's the vet tech going to do it and what do they make? Even at one goat per 5 mintues I want to work there if it's costing $70 a head ;) Vicki
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,421 Posts
Yep....before we knew how to do this ourselves we paid that to have one done. It's insane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not worried about the pulling part as I am sure I can manage. I just can't find anywhere to send it. I've asked many area breeders and nobody seems to know where to send it...they just have the vet do it and that's that. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,497 Posts
Tam look at that answer they are giving you logically...how would you not know, the test results are important you would have them in hand. They aren't testing. Vicki
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Hi. I have to be inclined to agree with Vicki. It doesn't seem to matter who I ask, they don't test. I am to having such a problem. Mostly when I ask people if they test for CAE and CL they ask me what that is. Are they really that dumb or just want to act like it.

Wendy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is not a lab here that does CAE testing in our province. We have to send out of province and hence the reason the labs which normally charge $7-9/sample crank their prices up to $25-35/sample for out-of-province samples. Its absolutely ridiculous. I have serious, serious doubts that I could send blood south of the border for testing.

Oh, I know they don't test!!! I'd say 95% of producers out here do not test, and that is probably being generous. They'll either flat out lie or say they don't know. Its really frustrating. I was speaking to one "breeder" about her goats. She was gushing about bloodlines and her "clean" herd. I asked which lab she gets her testing done through and she stammered and said "That is something you should decide on with your vet". Later in the conversation she admitted that since she bought goats from "herds that test" she was safe. I happen to know that some of those goats have passed through several hands before stopping at her door, often through herds that don't test. To top it off she started telling me about a doe she had with CL. Yes, that is a mighty clean herd you have there!!!

Some have admitted that $70/head is just too much to pay and they just rely on prevention. I can testing being a pretty big investment for, say, a 30 doe herd. But at the same time I feel I can't afford NOT to test. *sigh* Its really frustrating.

My dilemma is this...I have a commercial meat herd and a purebred Nubian show herd. I am willing to shell out the cash to have my Nubian herd done. I was really, really hoping to get ALL of my goats (commercial meat herd included) tested this year. That way I can cull accordingly and strive for CAE negative status of ALL goats on my property. My meat herd and milk herd are separate aside from sharing one fenceline (tight woven mesh). It seems to me that it may be a waste to test the Nubians w/o testing the meat herd. That leaves such an "unknown" lurking on the other side of the fence, know what I mean? But how in creation am I going to afford to test my whole meat herd at those prices?? Ohhhh, I am really flustered about it. I'm actually tempted to sell off the entire meat herd to eliminate the possibility of disease transfer. Mind you, they are a closed herd that originated from embryo transplant stock so its not like they are a bunch of auction mart scrubs or anything and I have never had an abcess on my place. Its still frustrating not knowing about the CAE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,497 Posts
For that price you could afford to put up another fence so there is a mowable alleyway between both herds. I would start testing my Nubians this year as they kid, send in colostrum on everyone who kids, send in blood in the spring on all the milkers you are keeping. Raise the kids out on CAE prevention that you do...heat treat colostrum and pasteurise milk..yourself, so you know there is not one mistake made in the process or someone else feeding raw milk. You start just like all of us started, test and cull.

There certainly isn't much demand for tested boers, but you know you could carve yourself out a really good niech herd with having tested negative animals, in your dairy herd.

There is a lab that tests Ellissa for CAE because every HIV and any other autoimmune test ran on humans or livestock, except WSU's comes from France and is exactly the same. How about joining your district list on yahoo.com for ADGA and asking who they test with in Canada....same on Nubian Talk.

I would also found out myself if you can send blood or colostrum (and with colostrum how would the mail know?) even with blood, if you make a styrofoam box and wrap it with foil then box it, you can not feel that something cold is inside the box as you ship it to the states. But do find out the info on your own because I can't believe getting lab work done on animals is illegal across the border.

Until you can test, use prevention in your dairy stock. Anyone positive put them out with the boers. Or...since most folks who test for the first times do have positive stock, what are you going to do with them? Not that you have to answer this :) Vicki
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most of my dairy stock came from another province and were tested negative last year. I do have a couple animals I bought within the province that were raised raised on prevention. It will be interesting to find the results. I suppose putting anyone positive in with the Boers is an option, although my meat herd is horned and I wouldn't want to risk injury. I'd likely just cull any positives as soon as they'd kidded.

Which brings up a good question...what DO you do with a positive cull? Sell without papers? To whom? These are well bred gals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,497 Posts
Initially as we tested, we simply put the positive does together, this started the CAE ad CL positive pen of milkers we milked. The negative doe and all the kids went into the new barn. We have never had a doe I raised on prevention, out of positive does, ever turn positive, so I know that pasteurising, even of positive milk and colostrum, does work. But I also no mistakes were made because it wasn't a chore I gave to the kids.

After the last of the positive does were put down in very old age we didn't keep anything positive, not even in the boer herd, although the fullblood buck we used was positive. I have purchased a few dairy does who then turned out to be positive after kidding, one with a negative blood test right before purchase. But remember negative on test does not mean zero titer. I gave her away, this was several years ago and I know the gal still has her. I believe there were 3 others and they were given to the dairy who didn't test and just want does in milk. I won't keep them, or use a positive buck. Vicki
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found a lab who will test IN CANADA for me for $7/head! Yes, that is a seven without a zero after it! LOL I am so happy!

That does make sense to have two separate groups and be very careful about pasteurizing, etc. It would be sad to just toss away great genetics because the doe is positive. Fingers crossed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Hi Ravenwood. Could you let me know what lab you found. I would sure like to know to.

Wendy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a link for the lab. They said prices will be going up in a few months time so now is the time to get the tests in at the $7/head price. I think it is normally $15 but since I have 30 to do they said the price drops to $7. Its located in Abbotsford, BC and is called Animal Health Monitoring Lab. Hope this helps!!

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/AHC/ahmlweb.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Thank you Ravenwood. :D

Wendy
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top