CAE testing colostrum

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by old dominion, Nov 30, 2007.

1. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Can someone tell me the process to follow to have colostrum tested for CAE. Does this test have a name, who does it, what is the cost. Any and all information would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jolene
    :thankyou

2. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

Ditto that.
    Also, what type of containers...
    And how long can it be in the frig before it is shipped? And do we ship on ice? Overnight it?

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

We send our colostrum samples to Pan American Vet Labs. 1/800/856-9655. The cost is $6.00 per sample (plus the cost of shipping Priority Mail or Overnight).
    To take the sample (need to use very first colostrum): Clean teat, milk out a couple of squirts, then place colostrum in a blood collection tube or small collection bottle. They need 2-3 cc of colostrum. If you're going to send in several samples, just put it in the freezer and send them all at the same time, frozen with ice pack in a cardboard or styrofoam box.
    Tests are run on Tuesdays and Fridays.
    If you have any questions, just call the 800 number and you can speak with Dr. Bob Glass, super nice guy and very helpful.

Address: Pan American Vet Labs
    166 Brushy Creek Trail
    Hutto, Texas 78634

4. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

so frozen is ok...good to know

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Because they seperated out the fat, or some such stuff, I send in more than the 2 to 3 cc's. WSU will CAE test any medium...knee fluid, blood, colostrum that you send them, I have test results from them. It a printable clickable check on their computer that they test Colostrum...it isn't like they test it for me and then write in colostrum. Why I doubt some of the 'information' that is supposed to come from them about that they do not test colostrum. Vicki

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Vicki; Can you explain what you mean by "having doubts"......are you talking about what is being tested, or who is doing the test? I'm unclear as to what you are referring to.

7. NubianSoaps.com

This is second hand...and with the source it's no hand :) But in my ongoing CAE colostrum testing, someone who doesn't post on this list or she would have already, will come on with information from WSU that they do not test colostrum because they can't defat the colostrum, that it is an unreliable test. Although we all know that colostrum is the number one mode of transmission, that all positive goats are not positive on blood all the time. Although in the same breath I have used WSU for both blood and colostrum testing myself. That the paperwork has colostrum checked in the box not blood so it's on their computer as a test they run. Vicki

8. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Vicki-- not sure if you are talking about me or not, but here is the exchange I had with someone at WSU when I was looking into the testing last year. (my original email to them is at the bottom.)

Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 10:55 AM
    To: Lisa Seger
    Cc: Gregg, Diana; Evermann, James; Daniels, Joshua; Murnighan, Jim
    Subject: RE: Colostrum CAE testing

Hello Lisa,

Your question regarding testing colostrum for CAE was referred to me.

We do not test colostrum at this time because the test we use has only been USDA licensed for serum only. We have experimented with testing colostrum, with mixed results. When tested undiluted, there appears to be interference from the fats and macroglobulins which can cause a known positive colostrum to test negative in this test. On further dilution, this colostrum will test positive, but the optimal treatment and dilution to detect the positive before diluting it too far has not been worked out or validated. We are looking into a validation study to address the colostrum issue. Until then, we know that blood samples work very well in this test, and recommend that you or your vet. draw the blood into red-topped or red and grey top tubes. Other information on submitting samples to this lab are listed at:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/caefaq.asp

John

John VanderSchalie

Immunodiagnostics Section Manager

Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory

Pullman, Washington

509 335-3429

jvs@vetmed.wsu.edu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 7:19 AM
    To: WADDL - Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab - CVM
    Subject: CAE testing

Does your lab accept colostrum samples for CAE testing? If so, is it the same test/fee? I just want to make sure I submit samples correctly. Thanks.

Lisa Seger

Blue Heron Farm

9. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I would just say that maybe there are people at WSU who don't know their bums from their elbows. If you are sending your samples there and they are testing it then I don't know why they told me they didn't do it.

We never got around to it last year, but would like to try to this year.

10. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I've had WSU tell me the same thing - I really think they don't want to mess with testing colostrum.

11. NubianSoaps.com

I hadn't read your letter Lisa.

Shoot no I wasn't talking about you. Vicki

12. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Aaaahhh... you're allowed. I whined about this last year.
    I think we may just send to PAVL this year. Semi-local economy and all that. ;)