CAE test results - I have a report question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Nov 15, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I just got the email from Biotracking for my CAE - it has their ID # and names, and then has an % inhibition - what is this ? It looks like maybe titer levels ? It says at the top of the report the inhibition levels and what they mean ( 35 or more is positive and that kind of stuff ).

My real question is, though all my goats show neg., a couple have like 5 or 7 in the inhibition instead of 0 ??? Does this truely mean they are positive ?

Thanks !

2. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

I hope someone else also responds to this post - my own goats are listed as negative, but have small numbers listed - 3, and 5 are what I have in the %'s as well (I no longer have either of the goats that showed those numbers).

Kelly

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Do a search on here, we had the lab guy explian the numbers to us. In fact when you find it point it out to once of us by bumping the thread up to the top so we can put it in goatkeeping 101 if it is not already there. Vicki

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, I'll try to find it - Thanks !

5. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

You can always call Chuck at Biotracking and ask him.

The Elisa test measures protein levels in a certain range of the blood of the test tube. A low % does not mean that the goat is carrying CAE - just that there are proteins of some kind in that range of the test tube. Once you start hitting the high end, it is almost conclusively CAE as no other protein will cause such a high percentage read. However, for a short period of time, something besides CAE can cause either a suspect or a Positive reading. A false Positive as it were. Which is why they always recommend a retest on suspects and Positives. Mistakes can be made.

Clear as mud now? BTW most goats will have a low % read. It doesn't need to be zero, just in the negative range. (WSU has the same ranges, they just don't tell you what it is. They see less than 25% (just an example!) and say Negative, at 30%, Suspect etc. I think it is nice to see that the negative is at the low end of the spectrum which is why titers are nice, as provided by Biotracking.) course it does cause more questions! :)

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Sure am glad yaw ran this thread again (where I wont have to get Vicki to explain it to me for the 1000th time).

I'm going with Bio-Tracking this time with doing my whole herd test this winter. After spending some time on the phone with them, I'm convinced that these are folks that I'm gonna like doing business with. They didn't mind taking time to answer all my questions. I will be curious to see actual numbers on the test results when I get them back.

WHIM

8. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Whew - i think i got it now ! lol ! and my herd is CAE negative !!! Thanks everybody !

9. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

We did our whole herd test with bio tracking this year and I was very pleased. They send a nice report back with the results explaining everything. Cost is reasonable and they just kill you after the tests are completed. If I remember they even called my wife to ensure they were going to test the goats for exactly what we wanted. We were getting pregnancy test as well.